Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a AEG Protex Lavatherm dryer that had the condenser

Hi we have a AEG Protex Lavatherm dryer that had the condenser light on. we took out the filters and cleaned them and also removed fluff from around the seals. This deleted the light and machine appeared to operate ok but after 15 mins we realised there was no hot air and we now get a message of e60. Please advise
Adrian
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Can you post the model number please. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

T65270AC

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for that. E60 is a heating error code. As its going but with no heat then you need to remove the plastic cover on the back and then remove the buldge cover on the back as well.There you will see the heater, Remove this and turn it over and on the back there you will see 2 thermostats. You need to test these with a multi meter and see if any are faulty. If so then the heater will need to be replaced as the thermostats come as part of the heater.If the thermostats are fine then just check the spring coils and make sure none are broken. But if the heater and thermostats are fine then im afraid its usually down to a faulty control board here. But check the thermostats first as its usually them that fail and cause this fault. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel

I haven't rated your response yet as I have only just found your full explanation in my e-mail. This is not you but a poor ask site as I only received part of your reply up to 'remove' then the answer ended! I did try to ask why this had happened but no one replied. As mentioned I appreciate this is nothing to do with you and now I have information I will follow this weekend and do the rating

KInd regards

Adrian

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi I don't know why the emails are sent that way. That's down to the way the system is run. I think its done that way so you can back to the site to read the answer and rate rather then just in the email but I could be wrong. As to the dryer just check it out when you can and if you need anymore info just get back to me. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel

I have got round to following your reply today and have removed the plastic cover, removed the smaller bulge plate but there is nothing behind it except the complete back cover that I have removed about 20 screws and although it is loose I still cant remove it. There is a cover near the bottom that I removed but that contained the heater element which I tested for continuity then put back. Have I missed something or does it necessitate removing the whole back panel?

Adrian

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok once you accessed the heater did you check the thermostats on the back of the heater? If you turn the heater over there will be 2 thermostats on there check them and see if both are ok and let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The heater was just rows of coiled wire on heat proof card slots, do I have to take these out to access thermostats? Also I do have a test meter but how do I test them plz

Adrian

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Did you remove the screws holding the heater on?If not then remove them and then you will see the thermostats on the other side.As to testing them just use the same setting you used on the heater coils as normal Ohms setting is fine. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At last, how stupid I feel ! I took the heater to pieces without realising it was only 2 screws to remove the unit. I have now done this and there is only 1 thermostat and it is an intregal part of the heater. There is no continuity across the terminals so I guess this is the fault?

Cheers

Adrian

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi If that thermostat is faulty then im afraid you need to replace the complete heater as it comes as one unit. You cannot just get that thermostat on its own I afraid. Regards
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that, you were correct and I am happy with your diagnosis but it would help people like me if you assume we are clueless as I felt you were dealing with someone with a little knowledge. Things like roughly the amount of screws to remove and when I asked about removing the complete backing would have saved some time and e-mails to you. Having said that, it worked, I am happy so thank you

Adrian