George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hoover Optima - mod no. WMH 148 DF 80 - prod code N(###) ###-#### Showing

Hoover Optima - mod no. WMH 148 DF 80 - prod code N(###) ###-####
Showing error message E08 What does this code stand for.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Mod no WMH148DF/1-80
Prod code 31003261

F08 means that you have a motor tacho fault...

Can you tell me whether the drum was rotating or starting to spin when you got the fault?

Please rate the assistance given. Once rated I will assist further if I can.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI George. No rotation or spinning. It counted down on the timer and displayed the fault code.

Hello Paul,

Have you got a multimeter handy?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sorry
Effectively, your pcb is not receiving a signal from the motor... Now this could be as a result of the tacho being short or open circuit; a wire being broken; a bad connection at the pcb; or a failure of the pcb.

The most likely cause is that the tacho is defective and needs replacing. The tacho is on the rear of the motor and has two wires to it... It sends a signal to the pcb to say that the motor is moving and at what speed it is moving.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks George. I started to investigate the motor whilst waiting for your reply. I disconnect the electrical connections and blew any dust away. Connected everything back up and it's working. I take note of your advice for future reference. One more question I have is, what would the lifetime of the motor brushes. This machine is 6 years old.

If the brushes are worn down that would also cause the same issue, as the motor is not turning to generate the signal for the tacho.

Brush life is dependant on usage, however, generally the life expectancy under normal usage would be 3-5 years

Do not use the appliance with severely worn brushes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

george, many thanks for your help today. The machine has done 4 washes since without problem.