canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have just noticed that my Beko chest freezer has completely

Customer Question

I have just noticed that my Beko chest freezer has completely defrosted and there's a red light on.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Are you familiar with testing voltages with a multimeter? The red light is an indicator that the temperature has dropped and could be a symptom of several issues. We would want to test some voltages and resistances on several components to diagnose. If you are not familiar with testing voltages are you more interested in finding what the likely issue is before calling someone out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not familiar with testing voltages so would be interested in finding what the likely issue is please.

The easiest would be that the door seal is damaged or the door had accidentally been left slightly open and the evaporator has iced up so much that it can no longer defrost and simply needs to be completely defrosted. In this case the freezer would need to be emptied and left unplugged with the door open for at least 24 hours. Otherwise it could be the defrost timer is faulty or the coolant has leaked out. The defrost timer would be somewhat worth having serviced but if the coolant has leaked out then there would not be worth servicing as having the coolant replaced and a leak located and repaired would be more than a new freezer. Leaking coolant would leave a slightly greasy residue on the coil or fitting that it is leaking from but otherwise is difficult to detect. If the freezer has been slowly performing poorly and defrosting it does not work then that would be a very likely culprit.
I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?