George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Washing machine starts the pump and after a minute does not

Customer Question

washing machine starts the pump and after a minute does not start the drum.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Do you have the PNC / Prod No?

Does the pump stop running?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the pump continues to run

ZWG 7160P

prod code###-##-####00

Thank you Douglas, can you check the filter for foreign objects preventing the pump from emptying properly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Filter clean and brand new replaced last week, and it is clean and free from foreign objects. It is something iffy as it will run once or twice then stop. It is always the same position although on different cycles.

Nothing had changed recently near the machine so its internal. I have run three cleaning cycles with machine cleaners and descaling agents. No difference.

Maybe I've missed something here Douglas, so forgive me for retracing the steps...

The program is chosen
You shut the door
You start the appliance
The pump runs and continues to run...

Is that correct?

or is it that the pump stops running and the machine fills but then does nothing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I

I usually use the spin cycle to check the machine as this is where it stops. I close the door put the machine on spin and switch on. It comes up with 17 minutes the door locks and the pump starts. The pump then stops for a few seconds then starts again, time still 17 minutes. The drum should start to move slowly one way then back and the clock should drop to 16 minutes. The movement of the drum is not starting. On a normal washing cycle this is where it is stopping.

Thank you for that description of the problem Douglas...

It is highly likely that since the appliance is now 4 years old, the brushes that drive the motor are worn to the point that they are insufficiently making contact with the commutator in the motor.

Check and change the brushes as necessary... Clean all carbon from the commutator during this process.

Please rate the assistance I have given you today & feel free to ask for further advice if needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drum seems ok at all other times and does full washes without a problem. I think something else is not set to enable the drum motor to start, but I don't know what.

Help please

So is the appliance spinning at the end of a wash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sometimes but sometimes it stops at the point of the pump going but the drum not turning

Douglas If the drum seems ok at most times, completing washes on most occasions, and the issue only affects the spinning of the motor then it is one of the following:

1.. PCB (Motor relay on the PCB is sticking or has a dry joint, or PCB itself is faulty)

2.. The motor (Brushes are at there 'end of life' state; Tacho gen is faulty, Wire with a bad connection)

In my opinion, given your latest descriptions, it is likely to be the PCB...

Does the appliance not produce any error code, or any series of lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, no error codes, is the pcb a buyable spare part or am I better replacing the machine

Yes Douglas, the PCB is available is a spare part..

I notice you have not yet rated any of the assistance given so far...
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
The part number is ***** for the PCB but it is not cheap... It is a matter of choice as to whether you decide to repair or replace in this instance given the price of the replacement part

http://shop.zanussi.co.uk/product/973914906617001/CONFIGURED+ELECTRONIC,EWM+0931

Before deciding to purchase a new part... I would remove and replace all the cables connecting to the board, to see if it is just a bad connection causing the problem.