George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Our fried freezer seems to have stopped working.

our fried freezer seems to have stopped working. kg30u625gb/02. fan in fridge running. compressor, I think it is, is hot.

the arrows 7 and 6, either side of the word super are both on and orange. the alarm light is red, the fan still works in the fridge, the light too.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

1. Are you saying that the fridge is hot or the compressor is hot?

2. The alarm light is red because the temperature inside is too warm

3. The orange light and the word super means that the appliance has gone into super freeze mode in order to try correct the temperature increase problem.

Can you remove the drawers from the freezer and look to see if you can see any evidence of ice on the back wall inside the freezer.. Also check if the fan is operating.

If there is ice on the back wall inside the freezer, finding somewhere to store your food, turn the appliance off for at-least 24hrs with the doors open, ensuring you have a towel in the base to soak-up any water..

After 24hrs, turn the appliance back on and after 8hrs running, tell me what the temperatures are

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George,

Thank you for responding.

1. The Compressor is very warm/hot, but not the fridge.

2.OK

3. Orange lights are now off.

There is no ice on the back of freezer wall. the fan is operating.

The temperatures are now showing, -02 degrees and 14 degrees.

Thank you Alexandra,

Keep the appliance runnign for the moment; keeping an eye on those temperatures... It could well be that it never switched out of defrost for some time so is now correcting itself..

Please come back to me later today and tell me what the temperatures are..

Please rate the assistance given & feel free to ask for further advice regarding this problem if you need to
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey George, just to update you, temperatures now stands at; Fridge 16 degrees and Freezer 0 degrees.

OK, let me know again at 6pm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George,

everything is defrosting. Freezer is now 1 degree and fridge 18. I have attempted to reset the temperatures, but when I get one set, it changes when the other one is pressed - then they return to the figures above.

Is the compressor running and is it warm or hot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the compressor is that back thing at the very bottom of the back, then it is hot, I assume it is running if it is hot.

Not alway... Is it just hot, or is it very hot?

What is the temperature now?
Are the fans still running in both the fridge and freezer?

We may need to put the system through some tests
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Very hot - can't keep hand on for more than 15 secs. Fan in fridge still running, I don't know about the freezer as can't see anything. Has been quiet all day though.

Can you remove some baskets from the freezer and check.. the fan is at the back behind the plastic cover, and you should hear it when the door closes..

If you can't hear the fan, rather than you dismantling anything, and before we do any further tests on it, you may want to turn the appliance off for at-least 24hrs with the doors open, ensuring you have a towel in the base to soak-up any water..

After 24hrs, turn the appliance back on and leave it running for a minimum of 8hrs, then tell me what the temperatures are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, so the fan in the freezer is running.

Ok, what temperature do you have at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fridge 19. Freezer 01

On the front control... are any of the segments of the numbers missing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, freezer now 02 degrees

Then I would say that you have a lack of refrigerant in the system... The compressor is trying to get the temperature down, but is working so long that it is heating up and the thermal protection in the compressor is shutting the compressor down... consequently, since not much refrgerant is circulating the temperature is then rising quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So do I need an engineer in to sort it out George?

Yes, you need a refrigeration engineer...

What postcode area do you live in... Maybe I can suggest one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CH42 5PZ - Birkenhead. Will it be costly?

S J Burns Domestic Appliance Repairs
Stockport
Phone: 07956 503856

Prices differ from engineer to engineer Alexandra
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for all you help George. I think Stockport might be a bit of a way for engineer to travel. I have his details though if I cannot get someone closer.

Thank you very much for helping me out. Have a good evening.