George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I bought a Panasonic inverter microwave oven F0027BH20BP from

I bought a Panasonic inverter microwave oven F0027BH20BP from J. Lewis at the beginning of November last year, a few months ago a crack developed at the corner of the plastic surround on the door. J. Lewis said take it to Sheffield for repair, as I am 87, live alone, that was impossible. I contacted them again, they said the nearest place for Panasonic repairs was Doncaster, my Grand daughter took it there for me then had to go back to collect it.
After only 2 or 3 months it is cracked again. This microwave stands in my kitchen, I am the only person who uses it, usually once a day to cook my dinner which sometimes is for only 5 minutes. It is not as if it was in a workshop canteen. I still have and use my original Panasonic microwave 30+ years old never needed any repairs !.
So I ask is this a design fault, a material fault ?. will it happen again ? why should I have to ask my family to take it to be repaired ?, I did ask J. Lewis to replace it but they refused.
I have always had faith in Panasonic, have Panasonic TV`s as well so I am shocked by this. I am contacting you by email because I am deaf also and cannot use the phone.
I request therefore that this problem is investigated and a satisfactory solution is found.
Mr John Arnold Hubbard
***@******.***
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.

Hello John, my name is George..

I have spoken to Panasonic on your behalf regarding the issue that you have, just to confirm my own opinion on this matter, and they have stated the following:

1. It is not the responsibility of retailer (***** *****) to act on your behalf with regard to repairs...
2. If the appliance is dropped off at the most local collection point for repair to you, there will be a charge for collection of the appliance for repair.

I broached the subject with Panasonic of whether the cause was design fault, parts failure, or faulty workmanship. Panasonic stated that it could be any of those stated.

I asked them for a reference for my conversation with them. The reference given is Ref: #1293353 and should you wish to talk to them you should ring them on Tel: #0***-***-**** option 1, then after acceptance or refusal for their survey, choose option 3.

I might add that it is still under warranty, and you are as far as I know, still within your rights to take it back to ***** ***** to request a refund/replacement under the 'Sale of Goods Act' as if the appliance keeps breaking in this manner then the product part is 'Not Fit for Purpose'

Please remember to rate the assistance given by me & please feel free to ask if you require further assistance; I'll assist wherever possible.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.