George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hotpoint Electric Cooker HUE 61K purchased 2011 Cooker

Customer Question

Hotpoint Electric Cooker HUE 61K purchased 2011
Hi Cooker has been working normally. First thing this morning we turned on one of the hob's. realised it was not the one required so turned it off and turned on the front left hob. Cooker then failed wiht no power to hob or oven or internal clock. There is mains power to the cooker outlet where the adjecent socket is still live. The house customer circuit did not trip and there was no noise from the cooker. The wiring appears to be in good condition.
Any ideas?
Dominic Wells
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

When you say that there is power to the cooker outlet where the adjacent soket is live; have you checked the point to which the cooker is connected for a live and neutral?

Also, have you checked the terminal points behind the power switch you are talking of.. If not, I suggest checking these points first before checking the cooker as the hob has no connection to the cooker timer which infers it is a supply problem.

Ensure you turn off at the consumer unit before checking the condition of any power points.

Please rate the assistance given so far & feel free to then return for further advice as necessary, but kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
The requested details are below:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi wiring at wall unit is fine. Unable to get to wiring on entry to cooker.

Unfortunately do not have VA meter to check voltages but would be suprised if the problem was at the wall unit.

Can you tell me what setup you have to power your cooker. Where is the cable for the cooker. What isolation switches are there, and where is the cable in relation to the isolation switch