Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Good Morning I have a an American style fridge freezer model

Good Morning
I have a an American style fridge freezer model RSH1DB7H.
The freezer side works fine but the fridge side will not chill down below 10C.
I have done the diagnostic check by pressing both top buttons for 8 seconds and an error flashing green telltale shows up where the fridge temperature units would normally display in the 0 setting of 10.
After a few seconds the temperature display reverts to 10C and stays there whereas I want to reduce to 1C.
Do I need a call out or this there a work around?
In the old days when fridges packed up my Dad used to turn them upside down for a few minutes then revert to the norm but not sure if that is appropriate here.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - when you do the self test can you indicate which bar stays alight ie top left hand vertical, top centre horizontal, bottom centre horizontal as examples. Regarding turning the refrigerator upside down, this was only applicable to absorption systems. If you turn yours upside down you will wreck the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian
The fridge freezer is a a Samsung.
After the self test the bottom right horizontal bar of the second figure 8 in the space normally occupied by the fridge temperature winks for about 10 seconds or more then reverts to reverts to 10 c
Hope that helps.
Chris
This indicates that there is a fault with the refrigerator defrost sensor that is located behind the back panel in the bottom of the refrigerator side. You will need to remove the cover starting at the top of the rear panel (everything out of the refrigerator first) firstly remove the light cover, then carefully remove the lamp holder and cover assembly taking care to take not of the wires behind. finally the evaporator cover. It may well be that you find that this is frozen up in which case you will have to fully defrost the fridge compartment first. The defrost sensor is the black or white thing on the end of a yellow pair of wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that.
Where would I get a new sensor & how much should it cost also do you by any chance have part no for the sensor for this model?
Also presumably I need to switch the unit off before dealing with the dismantling.
Chris
Yes, what I would do is take the top cover off and then see if you have a build up of ice behind the evaporator cover, if so defrost this first and see what you find rather than just getting a new sensor. The sensor is indicating that it cannot see a rise in temperature after a defrost session so it may be that the heater or thermal fuse has blown causing the microprocessor to think its a sensor problem. So take it apart and have a look first then come back to me ~ do you have a multimeter or someone who can use one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian
This all stated when we over filled the freezer compartment and the door was slightly ajar so that's where the defrosting activity was triggered.
Freezer side has recovered fine so I will take your advice and proceed with caution.
I have a mate who may have a multi meter but am away for a couple of days from tomorrow but will get back to you next week when I have started on the job.
Many thanks for your help thus far.
Chris
No worries Chris ping me when you're back
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.