George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162
Appliance

I have a 7 yr old Electrolux ERF 2832 fridge freezer in which

the fridge is not cooling... Show More
the fridge is not cooling down. I manually defrosted for 24 hours but this has made no difference. Also there is an occasional knocking noise after closing the fridge. Product no is 925 771 720. Any ideas.
Show Less
replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you answer the following questions for me:

1. Is the freezer working?
2. If you remove a couple of drawers from the freezer, can you hear the fan working
3. Did you defrost with the door open or closed?
4. Was there, or is there, any evidence of ice on the back panel of the freezer or fridge

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Yes the freezer seems to be working fine.
The fan seems to be working and is spinning freely.
I left the doors closed.
There was ice in the freezer.
I was thinking about opening the back panel and checking for ice, should I do this?
Bit worried about the occasional knocking noise or might this be due to the icing up?
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager replied 2 years ago.
This was part of the reason for asking the questions I have asked Jas..
Yes, remove the panel and check for further ice.
Check the area specifically around the fan blades.. Also check for distorsion in the blades and for looseness in the shaft of the fan.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
OK will do. The fridge is at my mums house so I will need to go around and do the work.
Is this a good time for you to communicate because she will murder me if I leave her without a working freezer ūüėú!!!
Take a hair dryer with you .. Then if you find ice you can defrost it using the hairdryer.

I am in an out all day. But by accepting the 'Additional Service' request that I sent you you could get my contact details and phone me... I am available on the phone when bot in and when out.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Ok. There's no ice. I have taken the fridge out. What should I do now
Run the fidge with the cover off.. Check to see if the evaporator (Looks like radiator) is getting cold. Also look to see if the fan is running evenly
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Yes the evaporator is getting cold and the fan is running smoothly.
When the compressor starts it makes the knocking noise as if it's like a car trying to start. This lasts 10 secs and the stops
Then Jas can you find any vents behind the evaporator area (This will identify the type you have)
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
There are no vents. You did say previously that this model was a partial no frost system
Then .. If the fridge is not cooling you have either a shortage of refrigerant or a defective compressor.

Please rate the assistance give by me so far, but feel free to return for further advice as necessary
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Thanks George. I believe it is not economical to change the compressor. I've also read that if the refrigerant is low there might be a leak. In your opinion is the fridge worth repairing or should I replace it?
Hello Jas,

I would have said that it was worth repairing but for the clanging in the compressor.. This to me indicates wearing and therefore changes my opinion somewhat..

The cost to replace the compressor and then re-gas the appliance would be far exceeding the current worth of the appliance given its age.

Please rate the assistance give by me

Hello Jas, Is there anything further that you require.. if so please let me know..

Alternatively, please rate the assistance I have given to you, as this is the only way I will get credited for the time spent assisting you with your problem.