George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Our dryer is collecting and pooling water under the water tray,

Our dryer is collecting and pooling water under the water tray, what might be causing this?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Please give me the model number of the appliance and give me a more in depth description of the problem.. ie.. where is the water collecting; is water entering the water tray;

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model - Indesit IS70C

Water is getting into the water tray but when you pull the water tray out to empty it water has also gathered / pooled underneath it and the action /pressure of pulling the water tray out means water comes out and down the front of the dryer onto the floor. If you look into the gap where the water tray is you can see the water collected. The water tray is not over full /overflowing as I empty it every use.and there is plenty of room in it. This has only happened in the last few weeks and it has worked perfectly ok prior to that.

Natalie.. Thank you for the most exquisite explanation...

Please be ready with a container with which to collect water, then going to the rear of the appliance remove the clear pipe from the top container by pulling it downward... putting the contaner uner the outlet from which you pulled the pipe, the water should drain out.

Once this is done, remove the same pipe from its siting at its base whilst using a towel or cloth to soak-up water that comes from the pipe.

Putting the container underneath the outlet again, without the water tray in place, switch on the tumble dryer and let me know if the container starts to fill with water.. this may take a few seconds for the water to start flowing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There didn't seem to be any water when we unplugged the clear pipe either at the outlet or base position. However, without the water tray in place and the dryer on, water comes out of the outlet into the jug we had held in position.

Ok, now please place the pipe back into its normal position into the base and then lifting upwards onto its place on the water tray..

Getting a cup or container small enough to rotate inside the water tray, fill it with water and then empty it into the water tray (you may do this once or twice) and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi this trickles down through the clear pipe.

Ok... All isworking correctly..

One last thing... Take the water container and a newspaper or similar.. Place the newspaper on a flat surface.. Take the water container to the tap and fill it, being careful not to over-fill it... Dry the outside of the container, then place it on the newspaper and leave it for 10 minutes..

Let me know what results you get.
Do we have any results Natalie?

Please rate the assitance given today & feel free to return for further advice on this matter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No leaks onto the paper.

Then all is well with the dryer...

The pooling could be that the dryer is tilted slightly forward, or that there was an invasive object causing the water to run down it evading the hole to which it was supposed to run into.

But all actions are so far as they should be... try the dryer again and you should find that there is no pooling.

If you haven't already done so, please rate the assistance given today & feel free to return for further advice on this matter

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Hello Natalie, have you now tried the dryer and got any results?

regards
George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes tried it a couple of times for different types of loads and no water collecting underneath the tray, so all good thank you.