George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a creda fridge freezer CM31GI. When I moved into the

Customer Question

I have a creda fridge freezer CM31GI. When I moved into the house the light wasn't working and the light cover had melted at one side and was miscoloured as though it had got too hot. I replaced the bulb and it worked but I'm not sure that the light is switching off when I shut the fridge door
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is George..

There is a light switch on the lamp holder close to the door... press the switch to see if it is operational.. If it is not, then come back to me and I'll get you the part number for a replacement.

Please rate the assistance given by me & kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it does switch the light off when I press it
Then the damage has probably been done by someone leaving the door ajar, hence the light remaining on.

Close the door until the seal is almost touching the closure point and you should see the light go off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have tried that but I can't see the light going off

Can you not see it because it is in its cabinet or just because you cant visibly see it ?

Look to see if the button is damaged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in a cabinet but I can still see it until the door is nearly shut. The bulb is very hot even when the door has been closed for a few minutes, is this normal
The heat from the bulb will depend on the wattage of the bulb you have fitted... Standard fridge bulbs should be 15w

Push the button of the lamp switch and tell me how far you have to push the button before it turns the light off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bulb is 15 watt, the light goes off when I push the button about half a centimetre , shouldn't the bulb cool down when the door has been shut for a while?, even when the door is first opened after 15 mins it feels hot straight away
The bulb will get hot straight away... it will also stay 'hot / very warm' for 1-2 mins from being switched off.

Make sure the door is aligned correctly that the button is pushed when the door closes

I must now ask you to rate the assistance before requesting anything further.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door seems to be aligned, but I've just put something on the button that would transfer to any part of the door that pressed it and nothing has disturbed what I put on it when I closed the door, so it seems the door is not pressing the button when I close it, could the light fitting have been sighted in the wrong place? I'm struggling to see what would cause this
I'm just having a look at the diagrams again to see which type of door is fitted to your appliance.. hinged or cabinet fixed.. one moment please

According to the user manual and the service manual the light switch operates having been pushed by the hard edge of the door, therefore if as you say, the switch is not being operated, then I can only assume that the spring inside the door switch is not allowing the door switch to protrude enough for the the door to operate it...

Change the switch

According to the manual, this is the one your appliance has; the part number is ***** and here is a link to a spares site that sells it

graphic

DISCOUNT
If you are buying from the above link a discount might be available.. When you get to the Checkout page.. To the left of the 'Pay by Card' button there is a link to allow you to enter a discount code.. Click on it and enter the discount code id1975 to get a discount