George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Creda solarglo hob and a Creda Europa solar

Customer Question

I have a Creda solarglo hob and a Creda Europa solar plus fan oven.
They are approx. 10 years old, both working well, They are on separate circuits.
Recently I have been getting shocks from other earthed electrical appliances.
I have isolated each circuit and every appliance and I have found the following readings on the Creda's.
When I disconnect the Earth on the double pole switch for the hob I get 22 volts back on the earth wire from the Hob. When I turn on the 4 rings it goes up to 36 Volts.
I get 31 Volts on the Cooker earth. I have done the tests to an independent separate earth to double check
Is it possible that the elements or switches on both appliances are faulty.
I have worked in the electric supply trade for 36 years. I am well used to testing earths.
We always have the theory of "never assume you have only one fault on a line or piece of equipment" Could this be the case or am I missing something. The appliances are in different parts of the kitchen
Thank You
James
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello James, my name is George..

If you are getting shocks from the other earthed appliances and also from the cooker, then I would suggest that you need to check the earth in the consumer unit..

If there was a fault in the cooker, then you could get a shock from that if it was not earthed, or if the earth was faulty.. but that fault is not transferrable.. the shocks would only come from that appliance which has the faulty earth.. So long as the other appliances have good earths then you would get no shocks

The only common denominator between all of the appliances is the consumer unit earthing .

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.