George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Neff U1661N2GB/01 double oven - bottom oven light bulb blew

Neff U1661N2GB/01 double oven - bottom oven light bulb blew (left side), replaced bulb but doesn't work on Circotherm setting nor does the bulb on the right (nothing wrong with this bulb). nor does the fan but the element heats up.
Both lights and fan work on Circo-roasting setting. Neither light work on Oven light setting. Help please.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

This is a good indication of damage to the sellector switch behind the controls... One or more of the fingers on the sellector will be damaged.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Is it a relatively simple matter to replace the defective part please; will I have to change the entire unit and is it easy to remove the stainless steel cover over the control panel please, I can see 2 screws under the bottom and presumably there are 2 screws on the top hidden by cupboard trim please.

Hello Derek, Once the oven is out of the unit, there are a number of screws rthat hold the top cover onto the casing.. remove them and the cover.. There is a bar that runs across the oven on top of the timers.. Once the bar is removed, tilt the timer backwards, ensuring that the knob has been pressed in.. this will allow you to remove the defective timer that holds the selector... It should then be evident how the selector is removed from the timer.

Please rate the assistance given, I will then assit as far as I can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great - thank you.

Which part should I order please, is it the complete timer unit or just the selector switch unit. And where can I get the part please, I'm a complete novice as you may have deduced and don't know where to start.

It all sounds expensive but a new cooker is a heck of a lot more!!

Hello Derek, Once you have rated the advice already given, this further advice of parts information and where to buy them will then be given to you..

regards
Hi Derek,

The part is only available as a complete part and the part number is #00480494

It is listed on the Neff website, but, when I follow the information link it gives me the following message:
[Regretfully part number 00480494 is no longer available, please delete this part number to continue with your order]
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh crumbs, now what do I do, can I get the part repaired perhaps, I surely cannot afford a new cooker.?

There is no part listed to replace it..

I would suggest contacting bosch to ask if they have a replacement part available or a repair suggestion..

Their telephone number is #0***-***-****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for holding my hand.

As suggested I contacted Bosch and they suggest that I need the switch only, part No 00173204 which is replaced by p/n 00173204. It looks as if I can remove it by pulling it out through the front and replace without taking the oven out of the cupboard. Does this sound right to you please and is it feasible please.

Sorry Derek, part 00173204 is the knob at the front and has no electrical bearing... It turns the selector switch, but, this is not the problem with your oven...

The problem with your appliance is that the selector is turning but not operating in the manner it should...

This is due to the electrical parts and not due to a plastic knob.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - back to Bosch and ask the question you suggested.

I take it that there is a problem with the PCP perhaps?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I take it that there is a problem with the PCB perhaps?

I would say so... Either that or with the selector switch at the rear of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Do I take it that that the selector control goes through the p.c.b. or there is a "shaft" that it pushes on to and some contacts on the back of the board that have dropped off please?

It would help immensely if you could let me have a diagram or schematic to give me some guidance please. I feel very wobbly about taking this on but my financial situation precludes buying a new cooker.

Derek, I will come back to you on this matter sir as soon as the system is back up so that I can gve you some form of image