George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have an 6 year old Zanussi ZWD 1272 tumbledryer. Just recently

Customer Question

I have an 6 year old Zanussi ZWD 1272 tumbledryer. Just recently it seems to have stopped drying clothes. I have emptied the the filter for any blockages but its still not drying. Has it had its day due to age?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you tell me the product number of the appliance.. this will be on a label inside the door opening.

Also, can you tell me if it is heating at all?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

inside the door were ZWD1472W###-##-####/p>

Not heating at all...clothes just seem to be coming out dryer as they have been spun again.

Underneath the lid of the appliance you will see a large metal housing that contains a heating element.. It is possible that the element is open circuit, or that the resettable thermostat needs resetting... this is on the side of the box and has a button on the side to reset it..

Please rate the assistance given so far
.. I can then supply a diagram and further instruction for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how does the lid come off?...pretty flush and no visible screws on the front and sides ...is it just screws at the rear?

Undo the two screws at the rear and lift
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks lid off. There looks like a large enclosed metal box in the middle but I can't see any switch's on it. Can you send a diagram?

The item highlighted in yellow has a reset button on it... First things first would be to test the throughput of the switch for continuity... Then if there is no continuity you will need to push the button and try again.

You will need to test that part, the part next to it, and the heater element with a multimeter.

Please rate the assistance given by me before requesting any further advice.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found the switch thanks...is it a push button?..there doesn't seem to be much push in it.

As you can tell by me struggling to get the lid off, I would struggle even knowing what a multimeter is let alone how it works.

I'll try the switch push / pull / turn when you reply which ever one I need to do and see if that works.

thanks

The switch is a push switch...

I must now ask you to rate the assistance...

If you require further assistance with how to use a multimeter or continuity tester to check the switches and heater, once rated I will gladly help.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On test dry clothes still come out cold, so reset never worked but thanks worth a try.

I'm unlikely to go about buying and using a multimeter but would ask is it possible to buy a new heating unit or is that financially not worth it?

Ok.. If you can get a multimeter, I will talk you through testing the two switches/cut-outs at positions 3 & 3B, and the heater at position 10.

You can get a cheap multimeter for around £6...

Below are links to the parts that could be the problem... Testing the parts before purchase would be advisable

Pos 10 -(###) ###-####Heating element with sensor
Pos 3 -(###) ###-####Temperature regulator,manual reset,150c
Pos 3B -(###) ###-####Temperature regulator,110/94 ELTH

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great stuff I will buy a metre tomorrow...thanks

You're Welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased an analogue mutlimetre purchased.

Ok.. take the wires off the resettable thermal switch/cut-out, turn the multimeter on and put one lead on each side; tell me if you get a reading
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done that just under 8volts and the same on 3b as well

now putting the wires back so that you don't forget later... test across the terminals of the element.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the element has 4 prongs to it, 2 high and two low ..in sequence from left to right of high, low, high low . Which combination do I apply the multimetre prongs to?

Test both equal to eachother.. high to high, low to low. you are testing for continuity
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

aprox 3.5v across both pairs

You should have the multimeter set to ohms, not volts`
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok 7 ohms on both

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry George 5.5 ohms

If all three of them are showing operational readings but you are not receiving any heat, the need for more intensive testing is needed... This I can not talk you through as I would not want to put you in danger of electric shock.. You'll need an engineer for this bit...

However, there is the posibility that there is a fault with the control pcb.. If this is the case, this I am afraid would make the cost inhibitive.
973914603300000 (NRT) PCB CONFIGURED £122.04

Let me know what you wish to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like I had the multimeter set at ohms for the readings for 3 and 3b. Should this be volts and what should they be showing?
The setting should be ohms or any other form of continuity... So long as you are getting a reading from one side to the other then they are working and will operate.

Effectively, they need to allow the power through them.. if they have no continuity then the power can not pass through them and therefore the power to the heating element will be cut

Have a look at the temperature probe just in case(###) ###-####

I don't know what the reading is supposed to be, but, just check that you are at least getting a reading

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I connected the 2 prongs on the ohms meter together to set the meter at zero. The elements are show 5.5 . But 3, 3b and the temperature probe all get the needle to fly from left to right on the scale to bounce around at 0 ohms. Does that mean they are working?

Using the image below.. tell me the readings that you are getting from each point.

Also tell me what setting you have your multimeter set to

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning...I got a Rolson analogue metre. dial set to x10 ohms . Crossed the prongs and used dial at side to set to zero.

Readings- 1 - 0.40

2 - 0.40

3 - 2

4- 1

5 - 1

6- 0

4 heating element prongs showing 7 ohms top and bottom sets

Ok, I will have a look at the documents when I get home this evening
Set the meter to 200 ohms and test the parts again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bought a better mutlimeter. At 200 ohms all read 0.3 except 3 which isn't setting any clear reading. It bounces around from .9 to over 2.00 and even reads higher. I have unscrewed 3 and am testing the flat metal surface.

Look at the chart below.. That should tell you when the switches are supposed to open and close again...

On the chart '3' is an NTC.. This should give a reading that is steady and only alters relative to how warm/cold it is.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok are you saying 3 is the problem as I can't get a steady reading?
If so can you send me. Link to buy a new one
Yes, if you can't get a steady reading from '3', then '3' is certainly one of your problems... You can purchase one from the manufacturer at http://shop.aeg.co.uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the full name of the part? Thanks

It is called a Temperature Probe and the part number is(###) ###-####/p>

There is a fault on the site at the moment preventing URL's from being posted so that you can click on them.. so below is the full URL.. copy it and place it into your URL bar to get to the exact item on the manufacturers website

http://shop.aeg.co.uk/product/3792111415/Washing+Machine+Temperature+Probe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats great. Thanks for your help
You're very welcome