George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I will have had my washing machine a year in august, at first

I will have had my washing machine a year in august, at first it was fine but now it smells, I use calgon along with liquid capsules,,leave the door open after every wash,never leave wet washing in it and have used a sanitiser to try and get rid of the smell. What can be the cause?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..
Please tell me the make and model of the appliance in question
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
whirlpool WWDC9440
There are a number of sources of bad smells from washing machines.. I need to ask you some questions in order to determine any possible causes in your case..
1. What temperatures do you use when washing
2. What cleaning powders/fluids do you use
3. Does your appliance drain through the sink waste or into a direct outlet
4. Is there any black residue on the door seal or the roof of the soap dispenser
5. Does the washing come out smelling
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
40 temp.-ariel liquid caps.-sink waste-no black-sometimes washing smelly
Ok, thank you for taking the time to give me that information...
Assuming that the appliance is pumping correctly and that the water is being discarded sufficiently, there are three possible sources of the smell and smelly washer..
1. No heat.. Heating element of the wash not working.
2. Bacteria.. Do a service wash.. A 90 deg wash with NO detergent in the wash. Make sure that the wash is actually heating. This will remove the bacteria from the inside of the outer tub that you can not see.
3. Your plumbing.. You need to ensure that the insides of the plumbing is clean and the flow is not inhibited, but that it is not allowing waste water from the sink to back-flow into the internals of the washing machine.
Please rate the assistance given so far