Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Zanussi ZWF1421W which has stopped mid-cycle.

Hi! I have a Zanussi ZWF1421W which has stopped mid-cycle. I have managed to rescue my washing and by opening/closing the door and selecting drain (repeatedly), I've managed to empty the water. I've cleaned the filter and the impellor is moving easily.
Using your method (holding the start and half load button, one click clockwise etc) seems to show the following Error Code: Start x 1 flash + End x 4 flashes.
Can you help me please? Thank you! Christine
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

When you set the washer going is the door locking?

If you select a spin will the drum turn?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the door locks. The drum doesn't turn when I select spin. The motor starts and a small amount of water drains but then the motor stops.

Best regards, Christine

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok that error code you got just means you have tried to start the washer with the door open so thats not really the error code for the fault you describe.

What you need to do is set it going on a full spin cycle again and let it do what it does.

Then try and get the error code out of it again and see what you get this time. But you need to do it with the door closed otherwise it will give the same code which is a door not shut code.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Machine off and door closed. Selected spin ... machine started to fill with water but almost immediately stopped and End flashed four times. (I'm really puzzled).

Using clockwise click method now getting Start x 4 and End x 5. I hope this is making sense to you?

Best regards, Christine

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok thats great the error code you have is E54 which isnt good news im afraid. E54 means motor relay stuck. This is down to a faulty control board and would need to be replaced.

To get this up and running again im afraid you will need to replace the control board. But this isnt a cheap fix and sometimes not worth fixing as the boards about the £130 mark. But thats up to yourselfs if you wanted it fixing.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Working with computers, I thought it must be something like a 'motherboard' problem! It's been misbehaving for a week or two ifI'm honest. Ah well, lets see what I can buy cheap!!

Thanks for all your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Best regards, Christine