George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint Aqualtis washing machine that doesn't pump

I have a Hotpoint Aqualtis washing machine that doesn't pump out properly.
The pump works and there are no blockages in either the outlet pipe or the large rubber hose that connects the drum to the pump. I've stripped it all down and cleaned it all, but the drum doesn't seem to drain properly, and it's slow even when the outlet pipe is removed and layed flat on the floor. Is it possible for the drum to get air locked? If water is running out, then air must be replacing it, how does that happen?
Any help would be appreciated as I'm running out of clothes!!
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

It is possible to have a 5p piece that has flipped in the outlet hose.. take the hose off and check it..

Also, it is possible that although the pump is working, the impeller on the pump is not.. this would cause the symptoms you have.

The pump could also be defective under load.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, the pump works fine and I've checked the impeller while the pump is running and it's not slipping or broken. The outlet hose has been removed and flushed through. The only thing that happened immediately before this problem was that the inlet tray was cleaned

Check that the hose running from the detergent dispenser to the drum is not caked with a detergent blockage.

Which model is causing you the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, its a Hotpoint Aqualtis AQxxl 29 pm, about 7 years old, I've not checked the hose from dispenser to drum, I guess this could be the way that the drum gets it 's air replacement?

If you get a blockage in that hose that is tight enough, then thit would cause a vacuum in the drum
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cheers George,

I'll get on to it tomorrow, thanks for your help.

You're welcome, let me know if that doesn't solve the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George,

I've looked at the hose from the dispenser to the drum and it's clear. I put a wash on and stayed with the machine all the way through. The pump works perfectly well on the rinse cycles. All the water is pumped out quickly during the washing process., but still on the final pump out although the pump runs, it doesn't empty the drum, also laying the hose out also doesn't empty the drum. Everything points to a blocked hose, but I've taken the hose off again and it's clear. I'm ready to throw the thing off a cliff!!

Any ideas?

Ok Derek, drain the appliance, take off the back panel, and remove the sump to pump hose... Check inside the hose for partial blockages, and also check up into the drum for items stuck on the heater element.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't worry George, I've found the problem. Old credit card in the inner drum, floating around until the water level drops and it sits just nicely above the hose to the pump. Only taken about 6 hours to sort,

Cheers ***** ***** help and patience,

Derek