Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My Bosch dishwasher made two loud bangs, on the second bang

My Bosch dishwasher made two loud bangs, on the second bang the power in the house cut off and some smoke came out the dishwasher. The Plug and socket did not show signs of fusing and the socket is working, was checked by an electrician afterwards. Could you please advise what the problem could be with the appliance?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

If it went bang and there was smoke then its more then likely the control board has blown.

What you need to do is remove the outer door panel (if built in) and then remove the front plastic control panel.
Behind there you will see the control board. Remove this and open the plastic casing and inspect the board and see if theres any signs of burning on there.

If so then the control board will need to be replaced. But there may be another issue with it which caused the board to blow. Ideally you need a megger or insulation test meter to check it out. As if you have a short in there it can cause the board to blow. So you could fit the new board and it blows stright away again.

But to be honest with you a control board for this is £100+. So given the appliance is 11 years old personally i wouldnt bother spending that much on it. As 11 years is very good for a dishwasher. But thats up to yourself.

But from what you say with the bang and smoke its more then likely taken the control board out.

Check it out if you can and see what you find. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Daniel it's a free standing dishwasher and it looks as though the screws cannot be removed by a standard screw headed screw driver. It looks as the screw heads have six sides instead of four, is there a special type of tool to take the front cover off?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
These are torx screw (star shapped). You will need the torx bit adaptor for a screwdriver. The size is T25 from memory.

But if you have a small flat bladed screwdriver this can sometimes work and get the screws out from there.