Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My Zanussi washing machine will not finish its programme with

Customer Question

My Zanussi washing machine will not finish its programme with the result that the door is locked and I can't get my washing out. It sticks on 1 min and shows an error code E20. Can you help?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.How old is your washer?Also were there any power outages or storms just prior to this problem?Thank youTech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A few years! possibly 8. We had a trip switch go yesterday.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
E20 is normally a draining issue.Please check the filter?You may need to clean it out.You can only check the end of the drain hose that connects to the house drains. Take it off and check for a blockage at that end.Aim the hose into a bucket.Set the machine to spin only.Does it pump out or does the hose get any stiffer?If you set the machine to spin only and with the filter out start it, does the pump impeller turn? (Look in to the open filter).If it does work, refit the filter.Try the machine again.Let me know how it goes.If this solves the problem please rate kindly, if not, do not rate yet but simply reply to me.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did what you said. No blockage in hose. Set it to spin and some water came out but it did not spin! It started the timer at 13 minutes and is now stuck again at 1 min and is totally quiet, and the door is still locked as it will not go to zero!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this is a step by step diagnosis so we can be sure what is wrong as the error messages on this one are a bit vague lol.
When you run the machine in Drain mode, do you hear the pump running or more like just a hum?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More like a hum!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that means there is something stuck in the pump or it has jammed.
Please Unplug the appliance.
Pull it out and have someone hold the machine tilted rearward while you work on it.
Put some towels down.
On the underside you'll the clips coming through the base that hold the filter housing in place.
Squeeze the clips and push them up into the base a little.
Reach in and slide the drain pump out sideways, taking care to catch the O ring seal if it comes out.
Take the pump out, clean out any debris.
fit the O ring to the pump and refit it.
(It goes into slots in the filter housing).
Side it fully into the housing and then push the housing back onto the base until the clips come through.
Stand the machine up.
Plug it in and try it again.
If you can't manage from underneath.
Put some towels down and very carefully lie the machine onto it's left side (dispenser side down).
If this is something you don't feel confident doing you may want a tech to do this but its really not to difficult if you have some basic tools;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed please rate kindly at this time then you can always get to me by simply replying to this message anytime, no additional cost for that.
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway we can override the programme to make it turn off so we can get our washing out? We will probably get rid of this machine! I am 75 years old and I cannot possibly do what you suggest!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anyway we can override the programme so that we can get our washing out? I am 75 years old and cannot possibly do what you suggest!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi is there a lot of water still in the machine?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in answering, but I had to go out. Yes - there is water in the machine.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi its likely going to make a bit of a mess, but heres the basic idea, please watch this video;-)This is a looong link please copy and paste all of it. Not all of it applies to you;-) https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0LEV1VvB7VVBBgAPddXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTI1MgRncHJpZAN1VEd5ME5wY1FNaVBydHZUbURJR2xBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMxMARvcmlnaW4Dc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMARwcXN0cgMEcHFzdHJsAwRxc3RybAMyOQRxdWVyeQNob3cgdG8gb3BlbiBhICB6bnVzc2kgd2FzaGVyIAR0X3N0bXADMTQzNzkzMzYyMg--?p=how+to+open+a++znussi+washer+&fr2=sb-top-search&fr=yfp-t-252&fp=1
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need any other ideas on that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help. I will give it a try and see how I go.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I will be here best of luck!Tech Mike