George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a 13 year old may tag fridge freezer and its leaking

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old may tag fridge freezer and its leaking water from the freezer and now the freezer is all frosted and the fridge is not cold
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you supply the Model number and Service Code of the appliance please

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model gc2228gehb service code19849503ep

Thank you Helen,

Is the light on inside the appliance?

Can you remove the basket drawers from the freezer and tell me if you can still see any ice or frost on the back-panel behind the drawers...

Have a look/listen to see if the fan in the freezer is operating

Also check if the compressor at the rear of the appliance is working and check the temperature of it

Check that the condenser fan behind the compressor is working

Let me know what you find

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi ***** *****ghts working fan in freezer is working loads of frost in freezer not sure what the condenssor looks like x

Helen, it sounds like you have a common problem where the evaporator is iced up and the ducts that transfer air from the freezer to the fridge have become blocked by ice or have been frozen so that their flaps can not operate.

You need to remove all the food from your freezer and place it somewhere where it can stay frozen..

Check the door seals for splits, because if they don't seal to the unit well enough then this will happen frequently.

You then need to turn off the appliance and leave it for atleast 24hrs with the doors open.. Leave some towels in the base of the freezer to soak-up any water coming from the defrosting.
Once you turn the appliance back on, the appliance may take upto 16 hrs to come fully back down to the correct temperature.

Please rate the assistance given today & feel free to return for further advice on the matter once this is done
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Compressor feels very hot

Yes, because the sensor in the fridge can not sense the correct temperature, the compressor is running on overtime in an attempt to cool the fridge, but because the evaporator is iced up and the ducts that transfer air from the freezer to the fridge have become blocked by ice or have been frozen so that their flaps can not operate, the fridge will not cool, therefore the cycle continues.

Let me know how you get on after a good defrost

Helen, I have had the other link cancelled... Please come back to me using this link so that you don't end-up paying twice..