Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Washing machine WCC20306 (2008 year) Stops at end of program

Customer Question

Washing machine WCC20306 (2008 year)
Stops at end of program with 1 minute to run. When I reset and start another program it just makes a clicking noise and I can see the expellor pump rotating through the filter housing. No water going although the supply works fine when not connected to the machine. Does the expellor pump at the bottom talk to the inlet valves at the top.
What is the best way forward short of calling a technician.
Mark N
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark, are you saying the unit wont take in any water?Have you tried both hot and clod water setting if you have that set up?Also where is the clicking sound coming from in general?Thank youTech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clicking now more a pumping sound from bottom of machine - pumping sound with no water going through. Drum does not rotate.

Cold water only supply but could rig up hot if that would be worth it.

Mark

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I just wanted to know to be sure of something. But we can get around that for now.Please describe exactly what happens when you put a load of clothes on and set the program, Step by step what happens now?Thank you for your patience.Tech Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right - line by line!

1. Dial to off

2. Open door and insert laundry

3. Close door

4. Set to "Normal" wash on dial - start/pause button flashes green and counter shows 2:00

5. Push start/pause button; lock light goes green

6. Whirring noise from bottom of machine (a bit like it is trying to pump out water but failing)

7. Counter goes down to 1:59 then 1:58.

8. Pushed start/pause button. 1 second later whirring stops , lock light goes out counter stops and start/pause flashes green.

What next?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that.Does the machine ever fill with water or even try?Thanks Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - no sound of water going through soap drawer.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that.This could be either the ware inlet solenoid which is cheap to replace or the main control board a bit pricey.Both are pretty easy to replace if you are a bit handy and have some basic hand tools, don't worry I will stick with you until its fixed;-)The first thing is you will need a line voltage test light or better yet a cheap digital multi meter to see if the water inlet valve is getting power from the control board.If it is, then thats the part you need.If that isn't getting any power when the program is calling for water, then you need the main control board (console).The best place for either or both parts is listed below, note: its best to call them to order this by phone and also some things are not on the site;-)I will be here for you until this is working.Let me know on that.The parts are available from http://shop.zanussi.co.uk/Or you can call: Call us:01325 302464Mon - Thur:8.30am - 5.00pmFri:8.30am - 4.30pmSame day shipping as well!Please kindly rate my service to this point and then you can contact me anytime you need me no cost to rate or for added service with this issue.Thank yo and have a wonderful day!Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Michael. I will test the water inlet valve solenoid.

Just a thought - this went wrong after some pretty dirty loads with quite a bit of dog hair. Might this have caused a problem - although I cannot see or feel any obvious blockages in pipes to or from the pump.

Finally - which bits do I need to put multimeter on and what voltage should I be looking for? DC or AC?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I understand.When you open the top, look where the water line comes in at the back it will go the the water solenoid (electrically operated valve.)Thats the part to try first;-) Its cheap as well.I'm here when you need me please rate kindly.Tech Mike
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are 6 wires going to water solenoid. The solenoid seems to have 2 valves each with 2 wires - removed the clip with wires and tested when machine switched on both valves showed no voltage (I assume I am looking for 240v AC)

Remaining 2 wires go to something the water side of those 2 valves - i.e. just inside where the water inlet is screwed to machine back.

Not sure precisely what I am looking for - where should the voltage be?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi was the machine ON and where it would normally be calling for water?But yes 240 vac;-)Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The 2 sets of wires to what I think are valves are black - no voltage showing on either of them at beginning of cycle (when I guess it asks for water).

The other 2 wires are red and they show a voltage of 4.9V dc whether the program is on or not - goes to 0 slowly after turned off at mains.

Not sure which one is the one that lets the water in though.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that.This means the main control board has failed.Its pretty simple to replace. But when you order the board, tell them you need one with an already pre programmed IC, sometimes they come unprogrammed and it requires a tech to come out and do that.SO just mention that.I wish it were just the solenoid system but in this case it is the main control.If you need me further just reply to this anytime and I will be here to help you get this installed. A good thing to do before you remove the old board, is take a few pics of the wiring clips so you are sure where they go when you pop them off;-)Have a nice day!Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mark, my name is George..

Before you go replacing parts, check that you have not got any water in the base... This appliance has an anti flood device on it which operates the pump when water enters the base.

Let me know what you find & kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I managed to reset the control board and it appears to have solved the problem.

Fingers crossed.

Excellent... that is good news

The noise you heard was the pump trying to operate.. The appliance is programmed to do this both, before starting a program, and when there is water in the base...If it happens again, tilt the appliance backwards to discard any water in the base.