Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My washing machine stopped and the light flashed red shortly

Hi, my washing machine stopped and the light flashed red shortly bafter the water filled. can't get it to go or start again. I think I might have overloaded it. What should I do?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just answer .... please tell me its complete model number and how old is it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is one year old but I cannot access the model number as it is on the back and I cannot get it out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer received to my response to first question from expert. My mistake - appliance is 2 yrs old not 1 - I cannot access full number as it is on the back and I cannot move it.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

The model number on this will be on a sticker on the inside of the door. Are you able to open the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, that is part of the problem

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok look at the front control panel and in small letters usually in the bottom right corner the model number may be printed on there and it will start with a Z.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ZWH 7148 P (can't believe I didn't see that!!)

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks ive got it now.

Lets see what the error code is stored in there.

Turn the dial to a spin only cycle.
Then you need to press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.
Keep then both held in and then the leds will go out.
Then let go of the buttons and now the start light will flash.
You need to count the number or red flashes and then the number of green flashes and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1 red and 3 green (LEDs didn't go out

, flashes just started)

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok that error code is a filling issue.

So what actually happens when you set the washer going on a wash cycle?
Will the door lock and will the pump run?
Does it stop and do you hear water entering the washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, normally exactly that

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok i know you say you cannot pull the washer out but im afraid what you need to do for this fault is check the drain hose at the back of the washer.

You will need to have the washer pulled out and from there check the drain hose at the back. If this goes into a stand pipe then you need to check it isnt pushed all the way down the pipe. As if it is this will cause the fault you have and create this error code.

Refit the drain hose so its not pushed all the way down. It only needs to be several cms in there so it doesnt fall out.

But if the hose doesnt go into a stand pipe then check the drain hose is at least 3/4 the height of the washer otherwise what happens is as the water fills it shypons out at the same time.

So from the error code you have its looking like the fault is something to do with the drain hose at the back.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've managed to do that (pulled the drain hose up about two to three inches as far as it can go before hitting the worktop) but how do I restart the washing machine as it was already in its cycle? It just hums then bleeps.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok to reset it you usually just press the start button to pause the cycle.

Then turn the dial to off.
Press and hold the start button and the button to the left again and this time with them held in turn the dial one click clockwise.
Keep the buttons held in till the leds flash then let go.
Then turn the dial 1 clcik at a time clockwise all the way round to off.
Then turn on then turn off again.

Now it should have reset so try a new wash cycle and fingers crossed this clears it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried all that; no change unfortunately, nothing different

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what is it actually doing then when you turn it on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry. I have had someone installing a new kitchen and he must have turned the water supply to the washing machine off. I turned it back on and it is working (I also reduced the load to be sure). Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok glad to hear you have found the issue here.

Just see how it goes from there and if its still not correct then just come back to me.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.