Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My washer/dryer hotpoint wd440 doesn't work at all on cooler

Hi, My washer/dryer hotpoint wd440 doesn't work at all on cooler setting.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi When you say it isnt working on the cooler settings whats its doing wrong for you?Are you getting any flashing lights?If so which lights are flashing? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No flashing lights. When I press the cool button it simply doesn,t work or light up and will only tumble on maximum heat.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sorry not sure which cool button you are pressing.There isnt a cool button showing on the WD440. Theres a high heat button at the top is this the one you mean? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. lower temp.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so when you set the dryer going do you just want to use the dryer on low heat? If so do you leave the high heat button turned off? Again if so are you saying its not doing low heat but instead doing the hight heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I left the high heat button off there would be no heat at all. I suspect it might be due to a faulty thermostat that should cut off at a certain heat but don't know where to locate it, how to test it, if it can be reset or where to get a replacement if needed.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if you press the hight heat button is the dryer getting hot then? Sorry for all the questions im just trying to find out what is doing wrong for you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it gets hot if I press the high heat button but remains stone cold if I press the low heat button.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for that. If it does get hot on high heat then its not a thermostat fault as if it was then it wont heat up at all. As its getting hot on high heat then the heater is working as is the thermostat so they are fine. This is going to be down to a faulty electronic board here. As its the control board that sends the signal to the heater to work. So if its not heating up on the low heat setting then its down to the electronics here. How the dryer works is theres a temperture sensor in there which tells the control board what tempture it is during the cycle. The thermostat is just a overheat thermostat so if it fails it just wont heat up at all anymore untill its replaced. This wont be the temperture sensor fault as if it was it wont work at all and give an error code by flashing lights on the front to say its faulty so you can rule that out as well. So all you are left with is the control board at the back on this im afraid. Thats the only part that can cause this fault you have . If you need anymore info just get back to me. Regards