George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a kenwood gas range cooker with electric oven which

Customer Question

I have a kenwood gas range cooker with electric oven which I have had for about 5 years. As a disabled person I rarely use the oven but yesterday whilst being cooked for the oven hinge snapped off. Is it possible to have this welded(?) back on and is it unreasonable to expect this not to have happened after such a short usage span?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

All steel hinges can be welded/repaired if the steel break, but most cost less to buy a new hinge.
If you can tell me the model of the cooker (On a label inside the oven door, or on the rear), and tell me which hinge, I can try tell you the cost of a new hinge.

How long a hinge lasts is dependant on the stresses and conditions of its life.. If its life is fairly stress free then no, it is not unreasonable to expect this not to have happened.. However, If the area gets damp, there is any acidity in the air, the oven door gets leaned on.. etc etc.. Then it is unreasonable to expect this not to have happened as those types of stresses are not within the remit of the use of the component.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.