Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My zanussi jetstream zj 1218 seems to go through the wash cycle

My zanussi jetstream zj 1218 seems to go through the wash cycle but the drum doesn't turn. Took lid off and front bottom plate and the belt seems ok?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

If the drum isnt turning at all then what you need to do is check the carbon brushes in the back of the motor.

What you can do if you can is pull the washer out and lean it backwards against a wall and get someone to hold for you.

Then lie down and look under the washer and there you will see the back of the motor. There at the back either sides are the carbon brushes. Take them out and see if they have worn down. If so then you need to replace them and fingers crossed this will cure the fault.

Check them first and see what you find. As most of the time its carbon brushes that causes this kind of fault.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am an instrument/ electrical engineer is there any where i can check if i am getting power to the motor or a signal for the motor to run. i have a multimeter and know how to use it

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you are handy at repairs then what i have done is uploaded the service manual for you. Click the link below and then you can download and save it.

Have a look through it and it shows the test cycle and how to test the motor in there.

Click here.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i cant download goes through loading and the changes to retry

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry dont know what happened there. Try this one and see if it works.

Click here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just the same it maybe because im using a samsung tablet. i have done what you first suggested. how do i remove the brushes ? does the brass plate where the cable crimp is connected and held in by small lugs be removed

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok to remove the brushes theres 2 screws holding the plastic holder into the motor. Usually 5.5 socket head size.

Remove the 2 screws and then you can pop them out complete in the plastic holder.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ive just uploaded the manual again as it wasnt working on my computer as well. So try this one and see how it goes.

Click here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

only one screw allen screw head type. removed the brush tge other way and it is less than 10mm long. i assume it should be longer than that?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes the brushes should be longer then that. They start off about 3cm long and just wear down to a few mm.

Replace both brushes and im sure this will sort it for you.