Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Hotpoint futura HF8B593 machine I think we have

Hi I have a Hotpoint futura HF8B593 machine I think we have a problem with the wash cycle knob I put a load in today for a 30 min wash and we are still waiting for it to finish a hr and half later the wash cycle progress lights haven't changed and are still on the first one any suggestions
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If you press the pause button and turn the dial do the lights on the front change?

Also do you feel it clicking one step at a time when you turn the dial?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi yes the lights go change and the dial clicks

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok in this case it isnt the dial thats faulty as if it was then it wont click and the lights wont change if this was the case.

Press the start button and then select the spin cycle and start it going and see if this start and completes the cycle and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've changed it to the spin and pump out but it hasn't started to do this its just carrying on with the wash

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so when you paused it and turned the dial to spin did the spin light come on?

If so then when you pressed the start button did the light revert back to the wash again?

Are you getting any flashing lights from it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it didn't change to the spin cycle just stayed the same it normally takes a few seconds to do this but hasn't there are no flashing lights

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry a bit confussed now. Before you said when you paused it and turned the dial the lights did change as you turned the dial.

But now you say they didnt change. Can you confirm if the lights do change if you pause the cycle and turn the dial as the lights on the far right should change for the cycle you select when the dial turns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when turning the dial the lights all come on if I then select b which is for spin and pump out and start it the light goes back to the start of a new wash

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Thats great thats what i was looking for. Just got a bit confussed as on one question you said the lights didnt change.

What this will be is a control board fault. Its either a faulty control board or the programming is messed up. As when you select a spin only cycle the washer should revert to the wash light being lit up. This is down to a faulty electronic as thats the only part that will cause this to happen.

Now the bad news. To fix this you will need to get Hotpoint in as they will need to connect there laptop to the washer and program it from there. Or if the board is faulty they will replace it and program it up again. As new control boards are sold blank on these and need to be programmed up.

Now Hotpoint do a fixed price repair for £110 all in. So this includes the call out and parts and labour so this is a lot cheaper then getting a local engineer in or doing it yourself.

Sorry this isnt good news but its not the dial at fault its the main control board at the back at the bottom at fault here.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you at least we now what to ask for just one more question how do I stop the washing machine - do I just switch it off ?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

At the moment you will need to unplug it. As the idea on this is pause it and this would stop it and you could start a new cycle. But thats not working.

So either unplug it or press and hold the on/off button for a few seconds and this should turn the washer off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your help

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome.

Even after rating you can still get back to me on this as thats not a problem.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.