Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have had a Samsung RL58 GPEMH 7 months now. Today

Customer Question

I have had a Samsung RL58 GPEMH for about 7 months now. Today I reversed the door swing following the advice in the manual. I turned the electricity back on about 5 hours ago. The freezer temperature has retuned to 20C, but the fridge temperature hasn't budged from 9C. Also, when I first switched on the fridge-freezer the light was on in the fridge but it now doesn't light. Can you help?
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Im so sorry that no oneelse has responded to you.Apologies for my delayin replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are youstill looking for help with this?Please don't rate myanswer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just usethe reply button to contact me.This may just need to be reset. Please turn off the power to 15 minutes and leave the fridge door openClose the door and start the appliance and it should have resetThanksRob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bob,

I tried this about 2 hours ago now. Your suggestion seemed to sort the light problem at least initially. However, while the freezer reading on the fridge door soon moved from -18C to the default -20C; the fridge reading has remained at the 9C mark, the intermittent pinging remains, and when I tried a few moments ago the internal light in the fridge no longer works.

Any other suggestions?

Hector

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi HectorThanks. This sounds like there is an actual problem with the borad itself. I dont believe anything you have done has causeed this, I think its completely coincidental.Under these circumstances, I would strongly advise calling Samsung for service under the terms of the warranty. The item is still covered under warranty and if yu start to dismantle this yourself (other than changing the door hang), they could say that you have interfered with the appliance and lost the warranty Sorry there snt an easy fix on this for you, but its best to use the warranty supplied. Can I ask you to take a moment and rate myresponses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which youshould now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not thewebsite or the problems you have had with this machine.This willnot close your question and you can still come back to me if you needmore helpThanksRob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bob,

We phoned the Samsung agents who live at some distance from us. They indicated that the problem probably lies with the 'Read switch'. It was my wife who made the call so I'm not sure if that should be 'read switch' or 'reed switch'. It looks as if the 'read switch' may be thinking that the door is not closed which is why the bleeping sound continues and why the light goes out after a certain time. Do you know where this read switch - or equivalent - is to be found on the Samsung RL58? Could it be in the electrical bits that I had to disengage and then re-engage at the time of the door switch - electrical cables had to be switched from one side to the other of the top of the fridge?

Hector

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hector
A reed switch is normally operated by a magnet.
This would be able to detect if the door is closed.
In the instructions, it says to be sure that the switch is fitted with the code number upwards.
This may be the problem
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

After speaking to the person at the Samsung agency, I had another go at tampering with things tonight and have managed to sort it without requiring a visit from their service engineer, so I'm happy with that. Many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Great newsThanks for letting me know