George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My ZRG310W1 Larder (bought 2012) only appears to work if the

Customer Question

My ZRG310W1 Larder (bought 2012) only appears to work if the control setting is at 7 (highest) but the contents are then over cooled. Any other setting the contents are not being cooled. Is the thermostat broken?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

It does sound like you either have a problem with the thermostat (P/n(###) ###-####, or you have a shortage of refrigerant in the system.

When you have it on a lower setting, is the compressor running constantly and getting hot?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On anything other than the highest setting the compressor doesn't come on at all.

Then yes John.. It seems the thermostat will be your issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replaced the thermostat but the fault is still the same - 'only cools when the thermostat is set at maximum' - see my previous comments.

Then John, when you now turn the thermostat to any number other than '0' or 'Off', the thermostat should switch the compressor on.
If you are turning the thermostat to any number but the compressor is not turning on until you get to 7, then you also have an issue with the new thermostat.

Think of the thermostat as a switch (ignore the fact that it is variable), it is a switch. When you switch it on it should come on; the control is operated by the variable part of the thermostat. On certain frost free appliances there will be a delay as the defrost system operates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You will understand that I am reluctant to spend another £38.00 unless I can be absolutely sure this the fault.

Spend another £38 on what John? If you have bought a thermostat and it is faulty then just send it back for a replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replaced thermostat with a new one and the fault is still the same. Decided to get an engineer to visit but he said he won't touch the fridge as I have carried out the repair.

I now find myself with a fridge that doesn't work and no way of getting it repaired.

The weaknesses of diagnosis though the internet is all too obvious....

Hi John..

I did say "It does sound like you either have a problem with the thermostat (P/n (###) ###-####, or you have a shortage of refrigerant in the system."

Personally, without seeing the fridge for myself, I would say from your description that there is a problem with the thermostat or with the usage.

Try this: Turn off the fridge for 5 mins.. Turn it on and move the control to number 3. Leave the appliance for atleast 15 mins to see if it comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Followed your instructions and the fridge did come on this time but only ran for 3 minutes and then switched off.

Get a notepad

If you wait until it comes on again, then go to the rear of the fridge and:

1. feel the compressor to see how warm to the touch it is getting.
2. feel the thick pipe coming from the compressor and tell me what you can feel.
3. feel the thin pipe coming from the compressor and tell me what you can feel.

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When it came on the compressor became warm to the touch (not hot). The thin pipe is perhaps slightly warmer than the compressor. Large pipe is cool but not cold. The cycle lasts about 3 minutes and then the compressor shuts off again.

Leave that for atleast 6 hours now... Monitor the interior temperature for the last hour

Let me now

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The temperature in the fridge is cool rather than cold - back wall is wet. The compressor cycle is the same - short duration and then stays off for a while. Pipes: thin, warm and thick cool. Compressor is warm to the touch.

Have you a thermometer to check that actual temperature inside the fridge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but if you think it might help I will get one tomorrow?

It would be good to find out... Let me know what type you buy