George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We have a single storey extension which is heated by a warm

Customer Question

We have a single storey extension which is heated by a warm Airduct system, with an opening in the bathroom, with heat coming from a grill situated below the bath at about the middle point. Because of my husband's infirmity, we now wish to install a shower, with floor level access. This would require the warm air exit to be removed, and other heating to be used in the bathroom. 1 Can we just block the air exit at floor level? 2. Would the heat,, which would continue to come along the closed off duct , ruin the shower tray over time.3. Is there any recommended material to be used for the purpose of closing off ducts for which there is no further use, which would insulate the area from the heat? or 4 Would it have to be blocked off nearer the furnace?
Anne Crockford
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you tell me the brand and model of the system.. Also:

1. what the current make-up of the ducting is
2. if this is the only duct coming from the warm air system
3. the temperature reached inside the duct by the warm air system

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Hello Anne

My contact details are below as requested:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****, Thanks for prompt reply. Have made a Not - to scale picture of the area involved with the warm air heating. I do not know the route of the ducts.

1. The heater is serviced annually by BG, and they described the model as UT/RS 22-25 MA(?N)F It is about 15 years old, but still functioning very well

2 I do not know what the temperature reached inside the duct is, and don't know how to ascertain this information.

Sadly my husband, who planned the extension, is suffering from dementia, and cannot remember any details. I have found original details of every other appliance in the house, but not this one!!

For some reason I cannot get that image to enlarge... can you re-post it please