Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I am used to paying annual gas cert tenants,

I am used to paying for the annual gas cert for my tenants, but this year an unusual additional charge had been added - "Just to let the know the Gas Safety certificate has cost £192 as opposed to the usual £75 - £80. There was an extra 3 hours labour for stripping the burner and checking the correct injector was in place."
Could any Gas Engineer enlighten me as to why this work might have been necessary?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi . if the boiler was badly in need of a service and therefore dangerous, the engineer would have had the option of either, capping of the boiler as I'd ( immediately dangerous ) or doing the service.
However in all cases the engineer should have contacted you first ,if possible to ask you or inform you first .as if an appliance has to be capped off the owner has to be asked permission first.
I don't know if you were available or were called to ask .
If the engineer couldn't reach you , they may have felt the best thing was to do the service instead of cap off the boiler and leave your Tennant's with no heat or hot water .
Ask your boiler guys what their policy is in that situation .
If its a policy you don't like then change them