George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

The front panel between the top half and the freezer bottom

Customer Question

The front panel between the top half and the freezer bottom half of my LG french door fridge freezer is very hot. What causes this and how can I fix it?
Thanks, Martyn
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Martyn, my name is George..

Can you tell me the model of the appliance please... You will find this on a label inside the fridge compartment.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model No. is GR-B218JUDA.

LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING YOUR ANSWER.

MARTYN

.Ok Martyn, but first I need to find put some information from you... Information that may be relative to any adverse cause of this.

Can you tell me a few things:

1. Is this a condition that is constant?

2. Does the compressor seem to stay running for long periods?

3. Is there any ice or frost forming at the rear of the freezer baskets on the inner wall of the freeze?

4. Can you hear or feel the fan rotating inside the back panel behind the freezer baskets?

5. What is the temperature inside the fridge and the freezer sections.

6. Is the floor of the refrigerator warm under the salad tray?

There may be a few other questions depending on the answers you give to the preceding ones.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. No, we have only noticed it over the past 3-4 days

2. No

3. No, it looks normal

4. No, but I am not sure if I could anyway - the fridge has always run pretty quietly

5. As normal: 3 deg C and -18 deg C

6. Yes but not as hot as the front panel which it joins on to

I hope this helps. Martyn

Thanks for the response Martyn... I shall have a look at the design & build documentation for this appliance when I get into work tomorrow and come back to you
Martyn, the heat from the area you are talking about is normal.. You do not need to do anything about it as it is caused by the anti-condensation heater which is located between the fridge and the freezer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry George but I cannot accept your answer.

The front panel has never previously been "very hot" (as stated in my original question) during the appliance's life of several years - it is now so hot that I cannot hold my hand on it without fear of burning, and it worries me that it may be a potential fire risk.

Do you have a better explanation, or shall I contact the manufacturer (LG) ?

Thanks,

Martyn

Martyn,I have looked at the diagrams for the appliance and also at the service information. I can find no other explanation for the problem you are experiencing.

I can contact LG tomorrow for you if you wish, or you can contact them.

Let me know what you wish to do.. If you can not get through or need further assistance I will be here.. Just let me know.

regards
George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George,

As you know, in my last reply to you I was not happy with the advice.

I am getting advice from the manufacturer (LG) and I will let you know their answer as soon as I hear from them.

Regards,

Martyn

Thanks Martyn