Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508
Appliance

I want to replace the on/off switch on a miele s6210 vacuum

cleaner and I need to... Show More
cleaner and I need to first remove the lid. How does the lid unfix? I dont want to break a plastic clip by forcing it in the wrong way.
Show Less
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?ThanksRob
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The cleaner has a lid that runs the full length of the body and incorporates the foot pedals for the on/off and the cable retraction. The on/off is not working. The foot pedal presses down on a switch fitted into the body of the cleaner under the lid. If I lift the lid and press the switch directly it works so I assumed it was the foot pedal that was faulty. I have obtained a replacement but can see now that the original one is undamaged and is pressing down as far as it possibly can, so assume the fault lies in the switch. The top of the switch seems very loose and flops about. To get to the switch I need to remove the lid, I assume by raising it into its locked open position and pressing out some hinge clips, but I don't want to force it at the wrong point and snap something. Not immediately obvious how the lid comes off. Once the lid is off it looks like there are 2 screws holding down the black plastic body the holds the switch so from there on should be straight forward.

Rob, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago.
HiIf you lif the lid up, and look underneath the lid, you should see the plastic type hinge, are these black and pushed into the body?ThanksRob
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Not black. Each lid hinge is the same plastic colour as the lid as they are part of the lid. Each hinge seems to have two lugs, one is round and at the back of the hinge and is pushed into the side of the central black switch housing, this I believe is the hinge around which the lid swivels up and down. The other lug is a small block at the front of the hinge that is sandwiched between the main switch housing and a small black spigot, this I think is the locking mechanism for keeping the lid in its open position. I assume it is important to know whether the lid hinges are pulled apart either in the fully open and locked position or in the partially open position.

HiThanksOK, these two pieces actually push into the main body.The easiest way is to get a large flat bladed screwdriver undr the lip of the hinge and just lever the hing pin upwards.The lid then comes off with the hinge pins attached Can I ask you to take a moment and rate myresponses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which youshould now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not thewebsite or the problems you have had with this machine.This willnot close your question and you can still come back to me if you needmore helpThanksRob
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Levering upwards seems odd. The main hinge lugs are pushed sideways into the main switch housing. These presumably need to be pushed outwards to free the round lugs, not upwards. There is a problem with this, though, (which is why I am seeking expert advice) and that is the other little lug on each hinge is sandwiched between the side of the main switch housing and a small upright spigot and any sideways movement of the hinge would seem to press against this spigot and snap it! Have you got a picture of this part of this model cleaner?

Hi Graham

Sorry, I dont have the cleaner in front of me
Can you upload a picture of what you are ssing? Use the paper clip icon
Rob
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

hinge

HiTHanksA picture tells a thousands words!!Unfortunately this is not the type the have used before!!If you lower the lid slightly from the locked position, is there anything that would stop you from hitting the lid rearwards to disengage it from the pivot?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the string of pictures. Had problems getting the uploaded images to transfer across. Not in favour of hitting the lid. I cannot see it going backwards until the pivots are flexed outwards to clear the main switch body. As I don't know how deep they are in, I am concerned that bending the edges of the hinges outwards to free the pivots could snap the little black spigots on each side. As the cleaner can be used at the moment by switching on and off at the wall socket, I am reluctant to risk busting the lid action in an attempt to remove it inexpertly.

I understand
Ill opt out as I am out of ideas
If anyone else has any thoughts they will respond to you

Rob
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'll leave this to another day and wait out to see if any ideas appear.

adamd-mod, Just Answer Moderator
replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am OK to wait for an answer. It will need to be someone who has experience of the particular model , a Miele S6210 vacuum cleaner, as it is different to most of the Miele range.

adamd-mod, Just Answer Moderator replied 1 year ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam