Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

Washing machine problems

I moved into a new build flat in December 2014 (rented) with entirely new appliances. I have noticed recently (the past month or so) that the clothes from the washing machine do not swell very nice after they are washed.

I contacted my landlord and someone was sent to look at the washing machine. I checked with my concierge and he was in my flat for literally 15 minutes. I asked him what he checked and it was just the tubes at the back of the machine to make sure all the connections for the water were ok which they are (apparently).

However, my washing is still not smelling very nice. I feel like a more thorough investigation is required but don't know what to say to my landlord. Do I need to say to him that the machine needs to be taken apart? Do the drains need to be checked? My parents have looked at the machine and noticed that it doesn't seem to get very hot even when washed on 60 degrees. You can put your hand on the window of the machine and it just feels normal temperature. This has made them question whether the heating element has gone but we are not experts and not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi . it is most likely where the machine was sitting for a while without being used . run the machine with no clothes and just powder a few times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.
I forgot to say I have tried running a 90 degree wash empty a few times. The clothes seemed fine when I initially moved in and was using the washing machine so I don't think it's because the machines been idle for too long initially. It's only recently it's been an issue.
I have check the pipe which the water drains from during a wash cycle. Presumably the first time the water drains on this cycle the pipe taking the water out should be hot (if it's a 60 degree wash). The water was cold.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , does the waste water outlet hose run to a trap or a spigot on awaste pile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water goes to a standpipe which is immediately behind the machine
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi have you cleaned the filter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see any problems with the filter. The flow of water seems fine.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
OK .then the only solution is a strip down and full clean of the machine. Your landlord may just choose to change the machine .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks for your help.

Does the fact the water seems to be draining out cold during a hot wash cycle point to a problem? Or could this still be 'normal'?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome , sorry no easy solution
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'll talk to my landlord.

Not sure if you saw my final question in my last reply. Does the fact the water seems to be draining out cold during a hot wash cycle point to a problem? Or could this still be 'normal'?

Please let me know your thoughts on the above and I can then close this thread and give you feedback

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , that's normal, as the rinsing is done with cold water.