Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a whirlpool American freezer model frbb36af20/2 which

I have a whirlpool American freezer model frbb36af20/2 which has stopped working. The fridge control is showing 5 degrees centrigrade and F60% and freezer side is showing two flashing lines only. Neither side is cooling, freezing or making ice. Occasionally machine starts beeping but stops after a while. Do I need an engineer to have a look
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

If you remove the baskets inside the freezer look on the back wall and do you see any ice or frost on the back wall in the freezer?

Can you hear the compressor at the back running?
Is the post inbetween the fridge and freezer hot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No frost or ice at the back of freezer. When I switched the appliance off for a couple of hours and turned it back on the fridge and freezer seemed to reset at -18 degrees centigrade f)or freezer and 5 degrees for fridge. Have just checked and control panel is showing two flashing hyphens for freezer and the alarm triangle is also showing. I cannot hear the compressor and the post between fridge and freezer is normal temp. For info the freezer is located in the garage adjoining our house as we have separate fridge freezer in our kitchen

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok what you need to do is remove the back panel on the back at the bottom of the appliance. There you will see the compressor at the bottom.

Look at this and see if the fan next to the compressor is running.
If it is then feel the compressor and se if this is running as when they run you feel it vibrating.

If this is running but theres no cooling there at all then its a system fault here. For this you will need to get a fridge engineer in as this isnt a diy fix as they will need to put there gauges on the back and regass it from there.

But if the compressor isnt running then its more then likely the control board at fault which you will see on the back on the far right hand side. This would need to be replaced im afraid to cure this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help - it looks like I will need a fridge engineer. I just needed to be sure before any additional expenditure.