George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Maytag fridge freezer model GGC2228GEHW where the

I have a Maytag fridge freezer model GGC2228GEHW where the ice maker needs replacing. The Maytag recommended repairer replaced the unit but this still did not work. On return the repairer tested the wiring and after 2 hours stated the problem was the wiring harness in the unit and that the replacement was now obsolete.
Can this particular model take a later model ice maker as a replacement along with its appropriate wiring harness or am I now stuck with a non repairable ice maker or do I have to change the whole fridge freezer which is a pretty drastic expensive alternative or maybe I have to accept a no ice result as the unit works perfectly well!!
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Unfortunately, you are correct in saying that some parts for the icemaker are now obsolete and that you will not be able to get it repaired unless Maytag have some parts in stock still.

It is very unusual for a wiring loom to be unrepairable... My advice would be to check on this with Maytag themselves. If the engineer has stated that the wiring loom is at fault (after testing), then the engineer should be able to inform you of which wires in the loom are faulty, so that you can atain an independent repair to the loom.

However, if the parts were replaced and the part replaced still does not work, you should be entitled to a full refund.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George Thanks for your response. Maytag are unhelpful and simply referred me back to the engineer they recommended who in turn states that the harness is faulty - he attempted a harness that he had in his van and that was not ok for the model of the fridge. I do feel that Maytag were not interested as the unit was 10 years old and had no warranty or extended warranty. I am going to attempt to get my costs repaid from the engineer but imagine that will be difficult to recover as well. I am going to get the loom tested by an engineer colleague and then will follow it up Its just so frustrating attempting to deal with the staff at Maytag let alone the inordinate waiting times on their phone system!!. Sonny K

Hello Sonny,

It is normal for an engineer to charge you for callout, as the engineer incurs costs by calling out to the problem.. However, the engineer should not charge you for labour if the fault is not fixed; also, the engineer should not charge you for parts unless the parts were replacing faulty part and those fitted repaired the fault.

Please remember to rate the assistance given by me..
but remember, I am here if you need further advice on the matter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George I will now pursue the engineer for the labour costs paid and the replacement ice maker installed as it does not work Many thanks for your prompt. Advice Sonny K
You're very welcome Sonny...

Trading Standards may be able to assist in requesting the refund if you ask them.

Please rate the assistance given by me today..
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair