Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My model R1736 fridge freezer is faulty. The freezer compartment

My model R1736 fridge freezer is faulty. The freezer compartment is very cold and the motor runs almost constantly but the fridge is not cold enough. The door seals are all good. The light in the fridge has stopped working.
Can you help diagnose the fault and advise which parts I may need to replace
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

If you feel the back wall inside the fridge does any part of it feel cold?
Does it feel spongy as you press on the back wall in the fridge?
Also is the compressor at the back hot to touch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The back wall in the fridge is only cold at the very top. It does not feel spongy.
As it's an integrated appliance I can't get to the compressor if it's at the back without pulling the unit out.
There is heat at the top of the freezer above the door near the evaporator. There is ice formed on some of the evaporator pipes.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok im afraid this isnt good news here. For the fault you have here its a system fault here. Its either a poor pumping compressor or its short of gas.

This isnt a diy repair as you will need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back to see the level of the gas and the pressure the compressor is pumping at.

Im afraid you wont be able to do this yourself as you need the correct tools and equipment to be able to replace the compressor and vac the system out and regas it from there.

But as to the repair its not going to be a cheap fix. As a compressor replacment is about £250 and just a regass is about £150 so thats something to thing about on this.

Sorry this isnt good news but this is a system fault you have here and it would need a fridge engineer in if you wanted it fixing.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info, sounds like I would be better getting a new unit. Is it possible that it is just a thermostat fault?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No this wont be a thermostat. As all the thermostat does is brings the compressor on. So as the freezer is cold but the fridge isnt then the thermostat wont be the issue here as this is a system fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I understand. As this unit is only just over 2 years old I am reluctant to buy the same ( Caple). Can you advise of good similar 70/30 make which you find reliable.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi For a decent one you really want a full frost free as they are a lot better then the style of fridge you have which is a wet wall fridge. For a decent make you can try either Hotpoint or Indesit which are the same. Or a Zanussi or Bosch as they are decent appliances. Try and stay away from the likes of Beko and the cheaper brands as they are not that reliable im afraid. Regards