George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I am trying to repair a creda Europa solar plus oven 48145 both the top ove and grill have

I am trying to repair a creda Europa solar plus oven 48145 both the top ove and grill have stopped working the grill/oven selector switch had 2 contacts welded together. I have replaced the switch but no joy. the thermal relay beside the switch is hot if this helps
nigel
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello Nigel, my name is George..

Which terminals were welded together?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi george

counting back fro th switch spindle contacts no. 2 and 8

thanks

According to the wiring diagram I have here.
For what you have described to have happened (2 & 8 welded), your dual grill element has an earth leak or has blown.

Please rate the assistance given by me today.
Hi Nigel,
How did you get on with your oven repair?
regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

I have visually inspected the solar plus element and it looks ok ie no blackening or burning but the top oven and grill are both not working, do they use the same element? and what is the purpose of the thermal relay which feels hot after the grill switch has been on? also when switching the grill/oven selector on there is a slight flicker from the neon indicator then nothing. I am loathed to buy a new element as i have already paid over £60 for a grill selector switch and due to the age of the oven wonder whether it is worth it but this is an old woman customer who cannot afford a new double oven.

Thanks for your help so far

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Yes the Grill and Top Oven use the same element

Visual inspections count for very little when it comes to elements of any kind, as they break internally...
Use a multimeter to test between the two terminals of the element with the wires disconnected to determine a continuity of the element. Use a 20MOhm multimeter to test between earth and the terminals of the heater to determine if there is an earth leakage..

The purpose of the relay is similar to an overheat stat as far as I can tell from the way it is wired

George