George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We have a Neff B1542 built-in oven and the auto light is flashing

Customer Question

We have a Neff B1542 built-in oven and the auto light is flashing but won't respond to the off button, or indeed the other buttons. Consequently the oven, although seems to want to operate, will not heat up. Turning the oven off at the mains switch for a period of time makes no difference. Problem started after electricity turned off yesterday to enable new main fuse board to be installed in the house. Any thoughts will be much appreciated! Many thanks
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..
Can you give me the full ENR of the appliance, including the /xx index.. This will be on a plate on the oven surround behind the door
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - the code is B1542S0gb/05 - incidentally the website seems to have asked for a phone discussion - didn't think I had pressed that button (!) but if you think it would be useful please advise - many thanks - Graham
Hi Graham, thanks for getting the full ENR for me..
Does the front of your timer look like this?
Timer Image
If not, can you describe it please
regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George - the oven seems to have fixed itself! As I mentioned in a previous note, I tried various combinations of button pushing and turned the power supply to the unit off for a couple of hours before trying again and all to no avail. Luckily I left the unit turned on and "flashing" and my wife thought that she would give the button pushing another go and, after a few tries, the auto function turned itself off and the oven roared into life! So the problem seems to be solved but I would still appreciate your thoughts on how to deal with this situation if it arises again. Many thanks, ***** ***** Graham
If you can advise me of the type of clock you have I can help.. The issue will be purely that the timer is in AUTO mode and that until you can switch it back to MANUAL mode the oven will not operate manually.
Have a look at the image and tell me if your clock front is like that one.
regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George - not like that image, i'm afraid. Its an oblong unit located at the top of the oven and slightly left of centre. It consists of an oblong display (green numbers) with four push buttons (from left to right" alarm, length of cooking time, cooking finish time and auto timer off) and a turning knob (for adjusting time) located under the display. Hope that helps! kind regards Graham
Ok Graham, leave it with me until Tuesday.. I will try get the tech details for your actual design and come back to you.
Have a good Bank Holiday
George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George - many thanks and enjoy the Bank HolidayKind regardsGraham
Try this Graham..
regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George - I have a note from you of yesterday but it seems as if an attachment - or some wording on the note - is missing? Please can you resendMany thanksGraham
Look for a link below
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GeorgeThank you for pointing the link out! The layout on ours is similar but we don't have the + & - buttons, just a knob for time/minute changing.As I mentioned in a previous note, the clock seems to have sorted itself out and is now working again (and we are not sure how that happened) but it would be helpful, please, if you could give an indication of the likely cost of (presumably) a new clock unit if it fails again - and indeed if it is possible to replace the unit easily. Seems to me that if its an expensive item to deal with might well be cost effective to simply replace the whole oven - but I would find that sad as the rest of the oven works properly!Many thanksKind regardsGraham
Hi Graham, below is a link to the replacement timer for your appliance .. You would also need to change the holder for the clock since yours is an older model.. Total nett cost of parts would be around £125 at todays prices.
http://www.neff.co.uk/store/shop-productlist/00269416
Please order also holder 00266893 for older appliances
Clock 00269416
Product ID Replacement of
00266697
00494535
£ 121.06
The replacement of this clock is usually pretty simple.. removing the lid of the appliance, the clock is immediately available.. removal is usually just a couple of screws and clip out the part after removing a couple of wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George - Many thanks for your help and I will hope that the issue doesn't arise again!Kind regardsGraham
You're very welcome graham... You have my number; if it happens again, give me a call.
regards
George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George - one last thing! I did have your number at one stage but it seems to have vanished from the details above, so if you could, please, resend I would be grateful.Incidentally, there was another power failure yesterday and the same problem reoccurred but we fixed the issue quite quickly this time by pressing the two clock control buttons (the left hand ones) simultaneously for a couple of seconds (took a few tries though) and the automatic setting changed back to manual - info might help you/someone else.Kind regardsGraham
Hi Graham, that's what the image I sent you was telling you to do..
Push the two buttons on the left simultaneously whilst turning the knob to adjust the time, then let go for 5 secs.