George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

George, I have a Bosch KIM3002GB/01 fridge/freezer. Approx

George, I have a Bosch KIM3002GB/01 fridge/freezer. Approx six weeks ago there was a slow build-up of ice on the midlle area on the back wall of the fridge to approx one inch thick. I switched off the unit and defrosted the ice. On restarting the fridge worked well but over the next two weeks this ice gradually built-up again. I defrosted a second time. Last night I noticed the freezer temp was slightly warmer than usual and realised the fridge was not working. The freezer now seems to be cycling between getting cold and warming up (the contents are in a neighbour's freezer!). The compresser seems to be working OK but although the freezer gets cold, the fridge remains at room temperature. Request advice, many thanks. ***** *****on
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,
Defrost the freezer with the door open for 24hrs... Once this is done, restart the appliance...
It should take a number of hours to cool the freezer to near normal negative temperature but once this temperature is approached, the fridge compartment should start to cool.
After a good amount of time, say 12hrs - 16hrs, measure the temperatures and let me know what they are.
It sounds like you are in need of a refrigerant recharge; however, a more definite diagnosis can be obtained following the information requested being received.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, Understood. I will switch it off and restart as directed. How will I contact you again? Reply to this email again? Many thanks, PH
Hi Peter,
You can either reply to the email or accept the 'Addition Services' request for which you will then get my phone number to call me..
regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George. I have switched the power back on and the compressor started as normal. After approx an hour the freezer compartment was cold with the whole of the pipe system very cold to the touch. The temperature of the fridge section did not go down. After approx another 30 minutes the compressor stopped and the freezer has stopped being cooled and has warmed up again. I switched off the fridge and switched it back on but this time the compressor does not appear to be running. Grateful for your advice as I regret it is still not working but did try for a short while! Many thanks, Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, I have just checked again and the compressor is running and the freezer cooling but not the fridge. It is 2330hrs so I am off to bed! I will leave it on and let you know whether it has cooled the fridge by the morning. Kind regards, Peter
Hi Peter,
If you have a thermometer, please place it into a glass and place the glass into each compartment for a short while to check the temperature therein.
Feel the temperature of the compressor at the rear.. Is it warm or hot?
Feel the right-hand side of the condenser at the rear (Grill type structure), is it warm or cold?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, I have pulled the machine out from the unit. On switching on the compressor started. After an hour or so the freezer is starting to get cold but no chilling in the fridge. The metal cylinder like a calor gas bottle at the bottom is hot, I can touch it but only just! The thin brown pipe going up on the side to the 'radiator' is hot close to the cylinder but cools as it gets further from the cylinder. By the time it across the other side it is room temp. Grateful for your advice? Peter
Peter, you should be able to hear the refrigerant circuiting the system.. What does it sound like.. Hissing, Waves, Running water, No sound.??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, no obvious noises other than the hum/buzz of the motor at the back. It is now 4 hours since I turned it on and although it appears to be making the same noise, the freezer has warmed up. It is on zero degrees and a small bowl of water which had been covered in a thin layer of ice has melted. The fridge isn't getting cold at all. Does this help? Many thanks, Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cylinder at the back is still very hot
OK Peter, you need the services of a refrigeration engineer to either recharge the system with refrigerant.
If you can supply a postcode, I can see if I have anyone listed that is close to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Although the cylinder is hot and it is still making a noise, the pipe going up to the radiator is no longer hot and there is no chilling in the freezer or fridge. I have turned it off for the night. Do you have any ideas on the problem? Many thanks, Peter
Peter, it sounds like you are short of refrigerant and need to recharge the system.
If you can supply me with your postcode, I can see if I have anyone listed that is close to you.
regards
Please now rate the assistance given by me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, thanks. Postcode SN68AL (Swindon). Out of interest to try to understand the machine, why would the refrigerant have been lost? If it has gone, why does the freezer start to work at all? If it topped up, will it not just leak again? Apologies for the supplementary questions but I am slightly technically minded and keen to understand! PH
Peter, there is no problem with asking me supplementary questions.. I will try answer them as best I can.
Gas is lost over the years throughout the systems many joints in its pipework.. Your appliance is now aged 16 or there abouts, it is a circa 1999 appliance.
Since you have already had leaks, your system could leak again, however, once recharged it could take just as long for it to need recharging again.
Here are two numbers for you..
_______________________________________________
Cooltech Refrigeration Services Ltd
11 Campion Gate, Grange Park, Grange Park, SN5 6JN
01793 744662
Arctic Services Ltd
Unit 3, Canons Yard Industrial Estate, Station Road, Royal Wootton Bassett, Woo, Swindon, SN4 7SP ***********
Please rate the assitance I have given you