Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Our gas aga went out last night. only thing we had done

Customer Question

our gas aga went out last night.
only thing we had done was to turn it up slightly for the evening sunday roast and then down again a bit later at bedtime.
this morning it had gone out.
the pilot relights but when I stop pressing down the gas control the pilot goes out again no matter how long I keep the controller pressed (Ive persisted up to a minute)
thanks
David peters
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your thermocouple has failed, this keeps the pilot on when you let go.You should get someone to check it and replace it if necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks andrew

i just got hold of an age service man. amazing on bank holiday. he said same thing he is on his way to put one in

dave

No problem.I hope it does not cost too much!ūüėČ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi andrew

grateful for the answer but not to the tune of £33. I was hoping there was something I could do immediately. anyway the age man came round, replaced the thermocouple and it went out again. so its a week on and the age still keeps going out! so you and the age man got it wrong, still I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee for your rapid response. Id be happy with £10. then I would give you an excellent rating

D

It's ok, but if it is not your thermocouple and it is sitting in the flame correctly, either your model has an overheat thermostat that your thermocouple screws into, or your gas valve has failed.If there is normally a certain length of time it runs for and then goes out then perhaps there is a problem with the overheat stat and it fails at a temperature too low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he is planning to replace the gas valve on thursday

D

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

D

Ok, hopefully this will cure it.Obviously your model does not have an overheat thermostat.