George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Candy CDI 1012 dishwasher: load up,switch on, select programme

Candy CDI 1012 dishwasher: load up,switch on, select programme 1, close door - appears to start (water splashing around) but stops within a couple of minutes. Open door: programme lights flashing as if all finished. Re-set programme 1 and close door - sometimes everything then continues to completion as normal, or sometimes needs to be re-set again.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you give the machne code.. It starts with 3290xxxx

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing in the "user instructions booklet". The machine is built-in, so can't see anything on the back.

Ok Roy, if you open the door, the code should be on a label down the side of the door.

regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, the code is(###) ###-#### The machine is fixed in a corner of the kitchen such that the relevant side of the door is obscured when it opens, so I was not aware there is a label there. Having removed the adjacent cupboard door, the label is now clearly visible!

Can you tell me how many times the lights flash before pausing Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

George: I just switched on and the five programme lights have flashed 30 times without pausing (not sure if this is the info you need).

I meant when it faults out.. but never mind.

Please follow this instruction for me and let me know the results:
_______________________________________________________

Push and hold the PROGRAM'S SELECTION soft key for 60 seconds (one minute) until LEDs 1 and 4 start flashing

Both LEDs will then turn OFF for 5 seconds

Following this the last ERROR in memory will be displayed (if present). All LEDs will flash together for a number of times

How many times does it flash before pausing?

Once you know this, turn off the dishwasher by the power switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My machine does not have an error display, George. Following your instruction, LEDs 1 and 4 start flashing after a minute and stop after 5 seconds, but nothing further happens - i.e. all 5 lights do not flash at all. Hopefully this will tell you something!

Ok Roy, can you then put it on a cycle.. when it faults out and the lights are flashing, can you count the number of times it flashes at that point before switching off.

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pressed power button, then programme button once for programme 1,and closed the door. After a few seconds came the usual sounds of water splashing around, but everything stopped after a minute or so. Opened the door and all 5 lights were flashing and continued to flash without stopping until I switched off the power.

Can you run the check agaain.. but this time, when you say you can hear water splashing around, open the door and tell me if you do actually have water in the appliance.

Also, I'd like to know if you hear the pump running at all.

Please remember, you are my eyes and ears, so I need as much information as possible and times to be pretty correct.

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Again it faulted out after one minute. Actually, there was no water in the machine - what I have been hearing is just the pump running.

I want you to try two things

Please get a bowl of water and empty it into the appliance to the level that would be the norm, then turn on the appliance the way you would normally do to set a program.

Let me know if that works... If it doesn't alter anything:

Please check the base for water ingress... To do this, take out the appliance from its residence and tilt it backwards to remove any water that may be there, then whilst out, try the appliance again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Poured in water, as you suggest, and started machine in usual way. Pump started and heard water running out the drain hose. Again, it stopped after a minute.

I don't think we are getting anywhere. I am limping along with one or two re-sets so that it eventually runs, with clean dishes produced daily.

Is there a circuit board which can be replaced by a local engineer? Otherwise I will give up and buy a new machine.

There is a circuitboard (4101419 Electronic module) that can be replaced but first we need to check that the Anti-Flood system has not activated, preventing the operation of the appliance.
Did you check the base for water.. If there is water in the base, the only thing that will work on the appliance is the pump..

Also, below is an auto test procedure for you to follow to try determine where the fault lies.

Candy 32900082 Test Procedure

Ultimately, I would eleiminate all possible causes before replacing a PCB.

If after all tests, the fault does not show iteself, then if you give me your postcode, I can try find an engineer local to you if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope I have solved the problem, George. You gave me the clue by saying that only the pump would run if there is still water in the machine. When started a new cycle, the pump has run to remove any water still lingering from the previous run, but I guess in my case it was not achieving that completely until I reset it to start again (once or twice), whereupon the cycle has run to completion. I considered that although the machine looked clean, including the initial filters, in this hard water area there could be a limescale build-up in the final outlet.

So a have run with a triple dose of de-scaler which I have had hanging around for a few years with only occasional use (tut-tut). It has now run successfully this afternoon without need of a reset.

Many thanks for your patience and vital clue!

I hope it stays running now for you ..

I'll look forward to getting a reasonable rating from you Roy.. If you have any further problems, by all means give me a shout.

regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair