George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

George, I have just logged on to check out the service and didn't realise you w

Customer Question

Hi George,
I have just logged on to check out the service and didn't realise you would pop up like that so I don't have all the details for my cooker available...apologies
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello sir, my name is George..
I will need the details of the oven to ascertain wiring and other information for the product...
The information i need will be on a label surrounding the oven opening behind the door.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The appliance is an AEG Competence double oven product number 944 181 776 it is about 13 years old and this is the first problem we have had. I have heard of a reset button but have no users manual to hand to locate this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies George it is not a double oven...single Competence B4100-1 the product number remains the same.Regards,***** *****
Hi Paul,
There are 6 models with that model number.. Can you get me the PNC from the label.. it starts with 944
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,Is that not the number in my first mail? 944 181 776. If not let me know and I will have another look.Regards,Paul
Hi Paul.. yes it probably is, but there are 3 numbers missing off the end of it.. it should be 12 digits long
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,Hmm. I am pretty sure there are only 9 numbers but will double check when I get back home in about an hours time.Regards,Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,Just checked. Only 9 numbers. There is another number an S-no which is 24701632. The B4100-1 has -M after it. Those are all the numbers I can find.Regards,Paul
Paul, is the hob still working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no hob George. It is a built in oven.
Paul, ring me on my works number ***********
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George I am based in Japan. Where are you? What is the time difference? Lastly when would be a good time? I will send a photo of the oven later.Paul
Hi Paul,
I needed to ask you some questions, but you have just answered them..
I am in the UK and it is now 08:13hrs.
Have you got a multimeter?
I have found the documents for your appliance (AEG *********** 20010717 B4100-1-M JPE). As you can see the date code for the appliance dates it at 17/07/2001. Because of this, the clarity of the documents is not great but there is a type of wiring diagram and a parts list.
The wiring points the fault to one of two items; The Electronic clock, or the Heating Mode Selector Switch for the Main Oven.
There is no proper wiring diagram, but if you have a multimeter I can assist you in testing to see which is faulty.. My gut feeling is telling me this is going to be either a power supply issue, or the Electronic clock, but since there are no images of the clocks electronic parts, and it seems the clock is no longer available, I can only guide further you with your assistance.
regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George,Pardon my ignorance but what is a multimeter?Paul
A piece of electrical test equipment common to many households.
If you don't know how to use one you are going to need to get an appliance engineer to test the incoming power to the appliance.. also to test and possibly bypass the power to the clock as the clock is unavailable to purchase and this is where I presume the fault lies.. either there of in the incoming power feed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George,Ah ha. Not common to this household. However my brother in law might have one. I will check. In the meantime this is a picture of the oven with the only light that works, the orange light. The knob is set to internal light on but it isn't.Will get back to you just as soon as I can.Paul
Ok Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,My brother in law does in fact have one. See file attached. He also knows how to use one. I will be seeing him tomorrow morning i.e. Sunday morning in Japan.Paul
Excellent.. It is Sunday here tomorrow too.
I will be around somewhere though
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,I have an hour window between now and about 6.30 p.m. Japan time and then an hour after that for the rest of the evening. I believe this is between 8.35 (about now) through to 9.30 ish a.m. And then again between 10.30 a.m. and 1.30 p.m.Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
p.s. Do you have an iPhone or iPad or access to skype?
I have an iphone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George,Just accepted the phone service. Will you be sending me your iPhone e mail address?Paul
Hi Paul.. I am available at the moment for about 30 mins, but will then be out until this evening. It is currently 10:15am
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George I will skype you.
Ok Paul... good to chat to you. Speak to you about the same time tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George, things have moved on but I am unable to send photos or so it seems. The oven is out, the reading for the power supply is 204 or so. The clock is actually working again though we are unable to reset the time. I am unsure of where I should test the positive/neutral so will wait until I talk to you. Personally I think your diagnosis of a clock problem to be correct...not that I know anything of course!Talk tomorrow.Paul
Ok Paul... send the photo to the email address I posted to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,Have you received the photos? If so are they OK?Paul
Hi Paul.. I did get the photos, but was unavailable until now.. I assume it is late in Japan so after a few rings I hung up..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,Thank you for your message. You were right to assume that I was in bed as in fact I was.I woke up this morning and just out of curiosity tried to reset the clock and...a couple of bleeps and it was working again. The oven was also working and heating on a variety of functions. We reset the time but within a few minutes it had reset itself to a different time. I have no idea why it reset to the time it did but...I will be available for a chat later this evening Japan time after 9 p.m. which is I believe is 1 p.m. your time. Shall I call you? Or would you prefer to call me? I will be up until about 11p.m.Paul
By all means try phone me.. I am out on call today but may be able to receive your call
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,I think it would be preferable to talk when you aren't out on call. I wouldn't want to be getting in the way. When is it you will next be at the office?Paul
I am back in the office for a while Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George,Sorry to have missed your mail.I will try calling today (Wednesday) this evening after I get back home...probably about 1 p.m. your time.Paul
OK Paul