AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

I had a new Dimplex XLS6N 0.85Kw installed to replace an old

Customer Question

I had a new Dimplex XLS6N 0.85Kw installed to replace an old broken Creda, for a small spare room, it is only producing a barely noticeable amount of heat during the night and my electricity bills have rocketed could this be a problem with how it is wired?
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.How big is the room being heated with this new heater? (the Msq?)How many outside walls?Do you remember the size of the previous Creda heater unit? Did it work well for you? Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou. Room is about 2.7 x 2.5m, even if it was smaller the tiny amount of heat would not be able to heat any size room. There is one outside wall 2.5m. The previous Creda unit was in the hallway - it never worked whilst I have lived there (2 years) I don't know what size it was, the electrician hooked up the new radiator to the meter and fuse it had. There are 3 'economy 7' meters for the flat one for each of the radiators in 2 bedrooms an one for the lounge - could it be a problem with the meter?

Ok, thanks.The heater is only a 850 watt unit, so it does not put out that much heat.It is a little undersized for the room area.Only you can tell what the heat output is on that end, but I would have the voltage checked to be sure you are receiving the proper 230 volts for the unit.Your room is almost 7 msq, so that would take at least 1000-1200 watts to maintain an average temperature.10 msq in the XL series requires 1600 watts to give you an idea.If the voltage is correct and maintained, it would point to the size maybe too small.The lower the wattage, the longer the heater will run and if it cannot maintain the temperature for the area, it will run all the time and of course, drive your utility billing up as well.If someone has a clamp meter, they can measure the power being used and that will determine if the heater is performing its best or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou but I still do not understand as it does not give out heat during the day even if it is really cold and only gives a tiny bit at night, no matter how hot / cold it is, I though storage heaters stored heat at night and released it during the day? It seems to be doing the opposite...The electrician who installed it checked currents etc and said it should be working but maybe something to do with the meter. Could a meter issue cause the problem?

Ok,A meter will not have any effect on the heaters operation except that it controls the power tot he heater. Either i t is ON or it is OFF. It doesnt do any anything between, so if the power is at the heater and IF they will measure the current (which is never done by most) it will tell if the heater is doing all that it can or not.The heater is 850 watts, so if they measure the current on the heater, they would read 850 watts of power approx to the heater and from the meter. That would relate to amps of 3.7 approx. when it is using power for storage.Maybe your meter is only for the night and the amount of storage is not enough through the day, or vice versa.If you know what you have, night or day or both that should help the electrician know what to expect at the heater.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thankyou, I would expect it to be taking the electricity at night as electricity is cheaper then but maybe it takes electricity in the day hence the expense, do you know how i can fix this?

Look at your utility bill and see if the meter for the heater is for off peak. Off peak is when it uses energy at night and Peak is when it uses during the day.If it is not on an OFF peak meter, then you would have to get with the electrician or utility for that instance