Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a Bosch fridge freezer E KGU31164GB. Temp lights

Hi, we have a Bosch fridge freezer E KGU31164GB. Temp lights constantly flashing with red warning light and freezer is not cooling. We have checked the fan which is still working? The fan comes on for a few seconds but then switches off, the same for the condenser?which also comes on but cuts out too. Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

When you say the condenser is comming on and cutting out i take it you mean the compressor at the bottom which is the black pot?

If so then if both the fan and the compressor comes on and then goes off again a few seconds later then this is more then likely the control board at the top.

As on these there isnt much in there that can fail. As you have a fan , compressor and control unit. If it was either the fan or compressor then one of them will carry on running while the other stops. But as both are stopping then it can only be the control board at the top which is casuing this fault and in this case you will need to replace the control board and that should cure the fault from there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did mean the black thing at the bottom on the back. Have just tried again and the same happens but when the compressor cuts out all the lights go out on the temp display and then come on again a few seconds later.

Does this confirm your suspicions?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Yes this sounds like the control unit is the fault as if it was say the compressor at fault the fan will still run and the lights stay on. So as they are all going ok then its looking like the control board is the fault here.

But just a thought if you havent already try it in another plug socket just in case its a faulty socket here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will try that. Assuming that this does nothing to solve the problem, is this something I can sort out myself and how much is it likely to cost. Just wondering if a repair is feasible or if I am better off replacing the fridge altogether.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
The part itself is about £100 so it depends on the age of the fridge freezer as if its quite a few years old then its possibley not worth it. And if you are handy at diy repairs then you should be fine as you need to remove the front panel at the top to access the control board and its a stright forward swap over from there. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries your very welcome. If you could also rate the answer i gave if you havent already as that would be great. Regards
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.