Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

IDV65 Tumble dryer will not start when button pressed but just

Customer Question

IDV65 Tumble dryer will not start when button pressed but just buzzes. If you take off the top and push the drum it stats O K. What needs replacing and how?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question.

What you will find is the capacitor is the fault on this. As the capacitor gives the motor the boost it needs to start turning.

What you need to do is remove the top and the right hand side panel.
From there you will see the motor.
Bolted near the motor is the capacitor, Its a silver cylinder with black and red wires going to it.

You need to replace this and that will get the dryer working as normal again from there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

sorry for the delay in replying but I have been waiting for the replacement capacitor to arrive. It is now due in two days!

In the meantime I have tried to get off the r/h side panel but it is proving difficult.

Please advise as it looks as if two lower screws at the front need to be removed and to do this the bottom front panel needs to come off.

How is this removed? thanks. John T

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

To remove the side panel you need to remove the plastic trim on the front.
From there you will see a few screws there holding the front panel to the bottom.
Then lean it backwards and look under the dryer and you may see another screw there.
Then remove the screw holding the plastic panel at the top.
Then look on the inside of the dryer behind the panel and theres another screw.
Then remove all the screws on the back of the panel and it will remove from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for info on removing front bottom panel. I did it but it would have been useful to know exactly what to do to get it off as it wasn't easy.

Have now replaced the capacitor and it works but without using the start/stop button?

The button is not permanently pressed in and I have removed a wire from it and the machine still self starts when put on the timer.

What do I need to do now?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

I didnt say about the plastic trim as this is usually very easy to remove as its just clipped on.

As to the fault you now have with the dryer starting stright away without you pressing the start start button if you open the door does the drum carry on going round instead of stopping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is I t! Once the door was opened it now needs the on/off button to. Start up. Many thanks, ***** ***** completed. John T