KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

When I turn the drum of my Caple washing machine it feels as

When I turn the drum of my Caple washing machine it feels as though it is rubbing in one particular place and doesn't turn smoothly.
The machine still works but is louder during spinning cycle and there are small pieces of plastic in amongst the clothes. Has one of the belts broken? Is it fixable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a washer/dryer
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just answer .... please tell me its model number and how old is it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im at work at the moment so not sure of model number but it was in the flat that I bought nearly 5 years ago. So older than 5 years.
Probably it is the belt that is going bad and will need replacement ... please get back with its model number when you are back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WDI 2201 thanks
Thanks for the model number ... with the washer unplugged, pull it out and remove the back and side panel of the appliance ... then closely check the belt ... it might have snapped off or is broken...a new one will cost around £14
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok great. I might need an electrician to unplug the bloody thing. It's all built in and rather involved. It's got it's own fuse; I don't know whether that's usual. I'm from Aus where we just plug it into the wall! Thank you for your help. I'm glad that there is a possibility of fixing it. Are parts easy to find online?
Yes the belt is available here _________________________________________________________________If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kevin
My lodger has used the washing machine before I could fix it and water is streaming out the front. Does that sound like a bigger problem than replacing the part that you suggested? Or is it from things being off balanced which will be rectified after I replace the belt?Thanks, Marnie.
Marnie, is it coming out from the door or is it coming out from the drain pump ?_________________________________________________________________If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was definitely coming out the front in three little streams so I would assume from the door. It was happening when the machine was full rather than when it was draining if that helps.
Marnie.
You will have to check the drain pump for any blockagesand also the door seal ... let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there KevinYeah the filter was absolutely chocker block with the grey plastic that I'm finding throughout my clothes. Hopefully that resolves the water leaking issue. I have taken the back off and the belt is completely fine. I have a feeling the issue is between the drum where I put my clothes and the outer casing though there used to be a rubbing/scratching feeling when I turned the drum and that is now no longer. The machine is a lot noisier than it used to be. What could the plastic be throughout the clothes?Thanks Kevin. This is really helpful. I am thinking of selling up my flat soon and I don't want to have to put a new machine in.
Marnie, this is not a DIY repair as the drum comes off and then the repair is performed... the problem seems to be with the coupling that is causing this issue, it seems to have worn out ....It’s made of plastic and rubber mounted to both the motor shaft and the transmission of the washing machine and can wear out or fail over time._______________________________________________________________________________If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it's time for a new one. The power keeps shorting the fuse; I had to change the fuse in the switch after speaking with my electrician. The power cord has no slack on it and I think I am going to have to take the freezer out. Kevin, thank you. I am just going to buy a new one I think. Without dryer. I don't rate them. Cheers.
OK, If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks