Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My deep freeze appears not to be freezing How do I diagnose

Customer Question

My deep freeze appears not to be freezing How do I diagnose what is wrong with it so as to put it right (if possible)?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Its either inside the fridge behind the salad box if its a fridge freezer.
Or behind one of the baskets inside the freezer if just a freezer only?

Also as it fully defrosted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are a lot of numbers, not all easy to see. The Type is GUBL 12A. Is that what you need?

It is now pretty substantial defrosted. At first I thought that the problem was that the input for cooling had become blocked by freezing over, bit that is now clear.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

That number hasnt brought anything up.

If you can see the sticker with all the details on it will start E-nr

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

G4344X6GB/01

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that ive got it now. Can you hear the compressor at the back running or is it silent? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's running.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok sorry this isnt good news.

If the compressor is running but it isnt freezing as it should then its a system fault here.

Its either short of gas or more then likely a poor pumping compressor. For either of these it isnt a DIY repair as it needs to be done by a fridge engineer as they will need to regas it once its fixed.

But to be honest this isnt going to be cheap. As a regas only is about £140 and a compressor replacment is roughly £250. So depending on the age its possibley not worth fixing.

But on this model the only things that can fail is the compressor or the thermostat. As the compressor is running then the thermostat is doing its job. It just wont be switching off as the freezer wont get to correct temperture.

So for this im afraid you will need to either get a fridge engineer in or replace it.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. That is rather what I feared, but it was worth checking before I lost the stuff in the freezer. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries your very welcome, Just sorry it wasnt good news.