Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have an amana side by side fridge and freezer and the freezer

Customer Question

We have an amana side by side fridge and freezer and the freezer dispenser display is off and we realised that the freezer is not working although we can hear the noise from the radiator. We looked in the manual and it says that possibly the fuse is defected. We can't find the fuse box. We switched it off and on again, we stopped hearing any radiators and I don't think it is working anymore. Could it be restarting? It hasn't been 40 minutes when I sent this message.
So, 2 questions: how can I have the dispenser control on again , is the system going to function normally after 40 minutes elapse?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Can you post the model number please.
Also are you able to access the compressor at the back to feel it and see if its hot to touch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model XRSS287BB, COMPRESSOR is concealed
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok are you able to remove the metal cover at the back at the bottom to access the compressor to feel if its hot?
Also can you hear the fan at the back running as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can hear the fan now but won't be able to reach the compressor . Check attached
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok if the fan is running then the compressor should be unless its faulty.
If you empty the freezer and look on the back panel inside the freezer can you see any ice or frosting on the back panel inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah it is there, ice cream has all thawed
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok if theres ice there then there will be a load more behind that panel on the evapoartor.
What you need to do is either remove the back panel inside the freezer and from there use a hairdryer to melt all the ice. Or if you dont want to go removing panels then you need to turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open as this will allow the ice to melt in there itself.
Once the ice has defrosted this will clear the evapaorator unit and allow the air flow through it and should get the freezer back to normal temperture from there an cure that fault.
As to the dispenser control if theres nothing comming up on this then its more then likely the control unit at fault. But if you turn the appliance off to defrost just see if it comes back on. But if the dispenser unit isnt comming back on but the appliance is still working then its looking like the dispenser board is the issue as that is a part we done replaced quite often on these appliances.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok then, I shall follow ur advice and see the result. The freezer seem to have started cooling again also. Thank you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No worries, See how it goes and let me know.