George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Daniel I have a zanussi tumble dyer zdc67550w Prod no.

Customer Question

Hi Daniel I have a zanussi tumble dyer zdc67550w
Prod no. 916 096 169 01
Flat code is showing 2 green flashes and 3 red flashes
Please can you advise what the error might be?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

This is an indication that either the pump is faulty, or there is a fault with a triac on the mainboard

Please rate the asistance given today & kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I press start I can hear a quiet click followed by a second click then nothing. Does this help you as I would like to identify pump or pub board

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I press the start button I hear a faint click from behind the front Panel followed by a second click then nothing.hope this helps as I would like to know if it's the pump or panel

Any test I can do would help?

I would say that is likely to be the PCB. Sounds like the relay is working but the triac is no operating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

I have removed pump, cleaned, checked impeller and made sure drain tubes are clear, pump,runs and removes water from tank.

Just did a full load of drying no problem, now won't start for second load.

Fault showing now is 5 red flashes and 1 green

Has my fault changed?

No.. I would still advise you of the same.. The PCB or a connector to it is failing; I would suggest the PCB.

The fault you are now telling me of is indicating the following: Motor power triac short-circuited. Motor faulty; Wiring faulty; Electronic board faulty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I appreciate your suggestion George but with the PCB at £103.00 a pop difficult to take the risk on 'maybe' and find out it is a connector not the PCB

It's a shame the PCB hasn't burnt out or fallen to bits or some kind of physical sign.

£103.00 goes a long way towards a new dryer.

I may take out the PCB and have a look for any problems such as dry joints etc.

The faults you have described are listed in the service manual... Both faults have indicated a common fault with the PCB.. One with the pump and the other with the motor.. It is posible that you have an issue with a dry joint or capacitor that is stopping power supply to the relays.

My advice would be to contact the following companies to see if you can get them to test/repair the board.

--------------------------------------
EMW Electronics
The Barn
Millfield
Forest Road
Oxton
NG25 0TD
Phone#0115-9652-118
--------------------------------------
NOVA electronics
700-702 Attercliffe Road
Sheffield
South Yorkshire S9 3RP
#0***-***-****
--------------------------------------
QER Ltd.
Quality House
Reedlands Rd
WORKINGTON
Cumbria CA14 3YF
#0190-067913
--------------------------------------

Please rate the assistance I have given you so far.. Then feel free to return for further advice should you need it.

regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks George

I'll call them for prices.

You're welcome.. Let me know how you get on.

regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

I stripped out the PCB board and sent to QER Ltd who have just called to say there are no faults on the board.

I'll put it back in, suggestion from QER is that Zanussi advise them the wiring loom can be faulty so make sure all the connections onto the PCB are tight.

Failing that I am going to check the brushes on the motor as sometimes there is a hum and drum doesn't turn over. I replaced the capacitor a few months ago so I don't think that would be the issue and the dryer still wont start if I rotate the drum when the humming occurs.

Maybe the PCB clicks because there is no response from the component i.e. the motor.

Anyway, board back on, then check brushes, then bin it I think and get a new one.

Steve

Steve, there are no brushes on the motor.. but if you are now getting a hum that wasn't there before, change the drive capacitors.
There are two capacitors on the motor and the rating of the capacitors depend on which motor is fitted to your appliance...

Look at the image to know which type..

graphic

Make sure you fit the correct ones.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I replaced a capacitor a few months ago but there was no mention of two being needed, just replaced the large on and wondered what the second capacitor was for as it looked to be connected to the first!

I will check the one I replaced for size and look at replacing the second one too.