George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Electrolux Cooker PNC No.###-##-####Approx 9 years

Electrolux Cooker PNC No.###-##-####Approx 9 years old
The main oven element burnt out causing a big "flash" and blowing the 30 amp fuse at the circuit board.
I have replaced the fuse, the element and also the thermostatic cut out. All wiring seems ok and all hotplates and top oven/grill are working. However, the main oven and fan are not working.
Can you assist please?
***** *****
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Hello Eric, my name is George..

Have you set the time on the clock and set it to manual?

If not , do so... If yes, please provide me with the full PNC of the cooker so that I can look at the wiring schematic.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello George,

Yes time is on manual. PNC is###-##-####/p>

Eric

Bristol, UK

There is a thermal cutout in the neutral line between the main oven fan element and the terminal block.. This has probably operated when the element blew.

With the power off.. Test this with a continuity tester.. If it is open circuit replace it..

Do not bypass this, as this is a safety feature of the oven to prevent fire.

If you need the wiring diagram, accept the 'Additionl Services' request that was sent to you.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have tested the cut out, which is new, and get a circuit on this.

is this ok?

Have you checked continuity of the thermostat when open?

Also, is the neon lighting or is it off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry not sure what you mean about testing when the thermostat is open.

I am testing a small cylindrical unit about 12mm diameter with 2 terminals. Is this the correct item?

Neon did not light with power on and main oven switch on.

Small cylindrical unit about 12mm diameter with 2 terminals

Remove the wires from the terminals on it and then test for continuity..

Let me know what you get with the wires removed

I have to go out for a while but will return to your question on my return

regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have tested with wires removed and hand tester lights up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
The answers were progressing well but George Allsorts had to go out. Whilst he said he wouild revert when he returned. George has been helpful but I need to get my query resolved asap.
Hi Eric, I am back... Sorry I took so long.

So, you have put a tester to each side of the TOC and it is showing continuity.. That is good.. that shows that the part is ok...

Now we need to look at the thermostat for the main oven
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello George - no problem.

Where is this located? I have been looking at the small unit previously mentioned.

I have double checked what I can see so over to you now!

The part that you tested beforeis not a thermostat.. That is called a Thermal Overload Cutout. The test you have undertaken show that the part is ok..

The thermostat is behind the knobs on the front of the appliance... There is two ways of testing this.. One way is to take the hob-top off the cooker; the other is to test by using the wiring to the thermostat at the rear of the cooker.

Is the rear panel off the cooker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I have replaced the panel as we needed the cooker grill for evening meal.

Will have to continue tomorrow from about 10 am Brit Summer Time = 1 hr ahead of GMT.

Thanks for your help so far.

Catch you tomorrow.

Ok Eric..
I will be around at some time tomorrow but obviously will also be out on call, so kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

regards
George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks George but I have decided to drop this enquiry now as I am getting a quote for a repair/service on the oven.

Thanks for your interest.

Eric